Is there a dark version of the default VLC skin?

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
wozmatic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Is there a dark version of the default VLC skin?

Postby wozmatic » 06 Nov 2019 22:05

Here's a quick Photoshop of what I'm looking for:

Thank you

noobtoob
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Is there a dark version of the default VLC skin?

Postby noobtoob » 11 Nov 2019 03:09

The default skin is not available in dark, although it is highly desired.

Custom skins can be dark, but they are buggy. For example, when a custom skin is set to maximize on double click, it seems to be unmovable and there's odd sizing issues. (Win10)

Interface -> Main interfaces -> change default to Skinnable Interface.
Interface -> Main interfaces -> Skinnable Interface -> *configure*

tom123
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tom123 » 12 Nov 2019 10:31

The default skin is not available in dark, although it is highly desired.
OK, can I make one then?

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 12 Nov 2019 10:51

Hi,
OK, can I make one then?
It would be awesome if you have time to work on this. The Qt interface doesn't work with skins2 theming mechanism, so you have to use Qt's styling features.

+ https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/stylesheet-syntax.html
+ https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/stylesheet-reference.html

If you want to work on this, I can try adding the necessary pieces of styling in the Qt interface but you can do it too.
It won't work with the interface in 4.0 however, which is using QML, so we have to check whether it can be included in 3.0 releases.

wozmatic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wozmatic » 12 Nov 2019 19:52

It would be awesome if you have time to work on this.
I certainly can. Just a quick background on myself, I'm a graphic designer and can do html/css so that's the extent of my coding knowledge. (not great, but I may be able to grasp the VLC programming if explained well enough)

If you don't mind sharing a guide or walk through style checklist on how to build a skin that would be great.

I can of course look for this on the forums here or youtube video tutorials but I figured it would be best to ask you, having the expertise on this.

Also, I'm currently on VLC 3 (not sure what the release timeline for version 4 is) so do think it would be best to invest time for doing a dark skin for VLC 3 now?

Thanks!

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 14 Nov 2019 13:26

Hi,

Honestly, for 4.0 it's probably about months, but some people might want to restore the previous Qt UI with the new APIs so it could still be worthy. But while the 4.0 is better designed when it comes to the code and maintenance, and brings a lot of new features, it's probably not as usable/finished/polished as the previous UI and you could have a look at it as well if you prefer. The work to be done is enormeous though. If so, you might want to come on IRC and tell people like j-b that you're interested on working on this.

You can find information there otherwise for VLC 3: https://github.com/ColinDuquesnoy/QDarkStyleSheet/blob/master/qdarkstyle/style.qss

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 15 Nov 2019 12:14

Hi, you might also want to contact j-b directly by email, via jb@v.o (replace v.o by videolan and org).

Legitti
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Legitti » 03 Jan 2020 03:10

I certainly can. Just a quick background on myself, I'm a graphic designer and can do html/css so that's the extent of my coding knowledge. (not great, but I may be able to grasp the VLC programming if explained well enough)

If you don't mind sharing a guide or walk through style checklist on how to build a skin that would be great.

I can of course look for this on the forums here or youtube video tutorials but I figured it would be best to ask you, having the expertise on this.

Also, I'm currently on VLC 3 (not sure what the release timeline for version 4 is) so do think it would be best to invest time for doing a dark skin for VLC 3 now?

Thanks!
Please do it!

DevaJufan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DevaJufan » 01 May 2020 07:50

Thanks!
This is just what I was looking for. I'm still even using version 2.2.1 due to some changes I've made in the settings that I'd like to keep. Don't have your skillset though, so I'm rooting for this project to come true!

YosYang123
New Cone
New Cone

Postby YosYang123 » 11 May 2020 15:33

Yeah...this has been what I waiting for. Have seen all the skin, but all I want is the darken one. no more than the native one with black colour and grey button

I use VLC for presentation since it can load JPG and MP4.

I now use the very2 slim bezel to play my presentation online. Best one, but I available, I want the VLC that can compete with Win10 Movie/TV player.

wadawada
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wadawada » 20 May 2020 16:53

Thanks!
Just wondering are you working on it?

geektech
New Cone
New Cone

Postby geektech » 26 May 2020 19:39

I use a MacBook and the VLC player interface is fully dark when I activate dark mode in macOS settings. I think recent version of VLC has dark mode builtin on macos ?
I write how to tutorials in my website HowToDoNinja.com . Read VLC tutorials in my website.

pitape
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pitape » 29 May 2020 15:30

This is exactly what we need: the trusted and reliable standard interface in both light and dark mode, for Windows, MacOS and Linux!
I tried skins but they are buggy and standard shortcuts or keys do not work.
And please take into account the UI size: many people have a resolution of 1080p (full HD) on their 13', 14' screen laptops.

wadawada
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wadawada » 09 Jun 2020 19:32

the new Media Player Classic has dark mode, and it can play pretty much everything vlc can play

prog-amateur
New Cone
New Cone

Postby prog-amateur » 10 Jun 2020 04:36

Hello, I was looking for that too. On my side, I use the Minimalist style.

According to the skin documentation (https://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins2-create.html), I was wondering if I just can find a config file in order to change only the background color to dark (seems to be RGB code) and same for the police font (from RGB black code to light grey).
I hope it is just a matter of changing 2 RGB colors and saving it as a new config. What do you think ?

TruckMelodic
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.11
Operating System: MacOS

Postby TruckMelodic » 21 Jul 2020 12:40

Following, also a huge fan of dark mode

mmortal03
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mmortal03 » 22 Jul 2020 18:23

This would be great, as the default Qt interface has stuff like the playback speed controls that I haven't found on any of the skins that are out there.

LongAwaitingDarkMode
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LongAwaitingDarkMode » 31 Aug 2020 22:35

Thank you so much for all the work VLC staff, but cmon...dark mode! Even freaking windows has officially enabled dark mode.

needdarkmode
New Cone
New Cone

Postby needdarkmode » 12 Sep 2020 15:53

yeah ther are hundrets of devs in that project and not an singel one can change the skin.... lol

its an bad joke with that windows XP look. i think i dont need it anymore. i have only normal files so....

i lost hope in that project. its still on the same spot like 2 years ago. -.-'

Luiza K
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Luiza K » 21 Jun 2021 23:02

Thanks!
Hey! Did you make it?

We're still waiting for it, don't give up :(

cam8528
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cam8528 » 30 Jun 2021 14:13

Hi. I use VLC 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to play meditation music and help cope with stress
the original poster had exactly the same question i was wondering.
I just registered my forums account just so i could say "i really want this feature and i agree with op"
not only the default skin in dark mode, but make sure the list boxes are dark mode too
so it doesnt hurt my eyesssss
yes plz VLC default skin dark mode
i dont like the funky custom skins cuz they look different from the default VLC interface
i just want regular VLC gui in dark mode for windows 10
seems like a lot of people agree
plz hurrie

edit:
idc so much about the preferences and options interface and all that. eventually that would be good to get around to skinning dark mode but just for starters see the photoshopped image at the top of this thread
vlc has a lot of interfaces and windows in preferences and u dont need to go all out at first
just make the basic controls in the main window when playing music and videos dark mode
work on the preferences and options windows later
just let me play music in default vlc interface in dark mode please

mmortal03
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mmortal03 » 30 Jun 2021 16:10

The VLC 4.0 nightlies *do* have a night mode under the View menu, but the interface in general in 4.0 is a big change, so it'll be interesting to see how much of an approximation of the classic interface we can get on it.

M4DMAXX
New Cone
New Cone

Postby M4DMAXX » 01 Oct 2021 08:38

The VLC 4.0 nightlies *do* have a night mode under the View menu, but the interface in general in 4.0 is a big change, so it'll be interesting to see how much of an approximation of the classic interface we can get on it.
I try it i know it pre build but when i open a VLC Playlist File the player it still White whatever color scheme are selected only when i open a single file its dark

moyash
New Cone
New Cone

Postby moyash » 28 Nov 2021 08:05

rpb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rpb » 21 Dec 2021 17:18

This would be great, as the default Qt interface has stuff like the playback speed controls that I haven't found on any of the skins that are out there.
Playback speed was exactly what I found missing in a bunch of dark themes I've tried so far.

All I want is VLC, but dark, because the out-of-the-box white theme hurts my eyes.

If there isn't a "default theme but dark" option available anywhere yet, does anyone know if any of the existing dark themes approximates the default theme, with playback speed controls and menus in roughly the same place so I don't have to go hunting for every option each time I use them?

Return to “Skins”