About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
XweAponX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.5 and 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows 7 and 8

Question about functions while in Skin mode

Postby XweAponX » 21 Feb 2013 18:41

Hi, I've been a member here for a while, but I've never posted anything (well, hardly anything). I just have a quick question, and it is probably a stupid question but here goes.

I use a custom skin that goes with the LCARSx86 shell for windows. While in this mode, I cannot save a playlist. the key combination (Ctrl+Y) just does not seem to work. In regular non skinned mode, it works just fine, but in skin mode, no soap. Sometimes I change my playlists on the fly, and I'll want to save it, but I can't - Not until I return to regular mode, but to do that I have to shut off VLC and restart it, losing my alterations.

Any way around this, or am I just not seeing something that's in front of me? Some skins, like the default VLC skin, have the control built in so I can save, but not the skin I am using (LCARSx32.vlt) - Can I edit the skin and put it in?

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Re: Question about functions while in Skin mode

Postby erwan10 » 21 Feb 2013 21:02

Qt Key accelerators don't work in skinned mode. This is a skins2 limitation.

In skinned mode, saving a playlist is done with the "playlist.save()' function (see http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins2-create.html documentation). Usually skin developpers implement it as a push button. The LCARSx32.vlt skin dosn't use this feature. If you know how to edit skins, just add a button with this function, and it should work.

XweAponX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.5 and 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows 7 and 8

Re: Question about functions while in Skin mode

Postby XweAponX » 22 Feb 2013 00:11

Yah thats a very old skin. I see some resources I can download, a skin editor I'll goof around with that. I'll have to bookmark this so I can refer back to it, thanx!

(Grr! I know I have Java in this heap, it updates frequently enough. I noticed the one it wanted me to download was Oracle rather than Sun)

I don't get this, I'm trying to add a button, I put the name of the image in there and it says "Bitmap does not exist" (Plus, it says I need to specify an Attribute).

I've read the tutorial up and down, I don't get this, what do I put in there, how do I tell it which image to use?

(Final Edit) Heh! I just chose one of the sections that was already there, the upper left corner of the skin, I just added a "playlist Save" function to it as a double click, BOOM, it saves my playlist.

Thank you VERY much - I have a long way to go before I can design a skin, but now I know how to edit any skins that don't have the playlist Save button. As long as I know where it is, I'm good with it.

Return to “Skins”