Everyone has the same problem with changing skins

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC

Everyone has the same problem with changing skins

Postby Guest » 13 Jun 2006 06:12

It's just silly. Why not just have to app to create some sort of settings.ini file in the root of the directory? That would allow automatic saving of last skin used and if something gets messed up, you can replace the bad settings file with a good one. Or manually edit it. I have played with this for only an hour so far, and I can't believe how ridiculous this is. It seems to store some file somewhere on the hard drive and it is hard to fix a problem if one occurs. One crash and it crashes every time you start the thing.

Looks like it could be a great player. That is, if the developer would make this small change.

yoann
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby yoann » 13 Jun 2006 13:49

VLC creates a settings file called vlcrc in

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\vlc
which is the common location for this kind of files.

The "Application Data" is a windows directory, so you may need to check "Show hidden files and directories" in your windows options in order to see it.

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 13 Jun 2006 16:06

A few more remarks:
- the location of this file is indicated in the FAQ
- if you want the skins interface as the default interface, there are several ways to do so. Search in this forum for more details...

Asim

Postby Asim » 13 Jun 2006 17:47

hmm... i can understand the time and effort u guys put in as developers...

but on the other end of the spectrum... i can understand the frustration people have to go thru...

what i can suggest is... perhaps a FAQ section be cooked up so that the common questions are answered... and that people wont have to start threads asking the same questions over and over... and devs wont have to reply mentioning the same thing (search forums etc) over and over.

- Asim

yoann

Postby yoann » 13 Jun 2006 20:00

Are you talking about this:
http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/videolan-faq-en.html
"1.3. Where does VLC store its config file?"
Furthermore, this FAQ is translated in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.

So, what could we do more?

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 13 Jun 2006 21:23

So, what could we do more?
I agree with Asim: the FAQ is ridiculously small, and many of the recurring questions are not in it. And I'm not talking only about skins related questions...

We should really:
1) add many more FAQ entries
2) fix VLC's behaviour. For example, we wouldn't have to precise every time not to select the Skinnable interface as an Extra interface if VLC didn't propose such an option, more visible than the correct one (but this one is tricky to solve, since the preferences are generated from the same list of interfaces)...

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 14 Jun 2006 22:25

Feel free to add stuff to http://wiki.videolan.org which will be replacing the FAQ as it becomes better.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Return to “Skins”