Playtree output format...

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
nw42

Playtree output format...

Postby nw42 » 26 May 2006 15:21

Hi!

I've heared that the playtree object will be redesigned in VLC 0.8.6 - is it true and is anything public about the new feature set?

Questions about playtree:

1. Is it possible to cutoff the file path string - so that the list is better readable?

2. Is there a way to show the playtime/duration of an list entry?

3. Is there a way to bind Aspect Ratio/ Deinterlace/ Color Control settings to individual playlist elements?

4. Can I calculate the total duration of a playlist - incl. remaining time?

Questions about Skins2:

a) I need an digital audio level meter (UV-meter) to control the audio output level that I deliver to external PA - I can't use the audio viz. plugins because I use a mirrored 1080p video out - would be so cool to have access to a % var for the discrete audio channels to build a visual level meter with Skins2...

Skins2 is a cool thing and has a lot of phantastic possibilities but I still need some features to realize my idea of an VLC skin...

best regards

Danko - forum@dolchonline.net

tonsofpcs
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: VU Meter

Postby tonsofpcs » 26 May 2006 19:05

You may wish to put a physical (hardware) VU meter on the output line of your soundcard since the internal levels don't usually match up with the external and the external are the ones that go to your next piece of equipment, especially since you are going through a DAC to go to an analog piece of equipment.

nw42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VU meter for skins2

Postby nw42 » 26 May 2006 19:32

Hi tonsofpcs!

You are right with the external signal - but what I need is a control for the decoded sound level and the first preamp done by VLC.

a typical playback situation during a film festival:

1. I start the playout of a movie file so that the sound engineer can make a sound check.

2. The sound engineeer is wondering: "I have no adequate level"

3. Now I have to check what's the reason:

a --> what is the VU level of the file???
b --> what is the VU level after preamplification in my soundcard???
c --> what is the VU level at my hardware mixer out? (here I have an hardware UV meter but only for stereo not for 5.1!!!!)

now I can say what's happens:

c ok --> Hey sound engineer I deliver full sound level: check Your system ;-)

a not ok --> hmm - movie isn't mastered right - I've to pull up my internal amp to increase output level

b not ok --> ok I've done everything - cut - the file is not ready for screening...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--> as You can see I need the VU level Info to decide where the problem is located and adjust the internal pre amp...

hope to find a soulution...

best regards

Danko

nw42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

playlist format...

Postby nw42 » 28 May 2006 13:36

addition:

As aLtgLasS wrote in: viewtopic.php?t=21173 the format depends on the way footage is loaded to the playtree.

--> "load file" results in path + filename in playlist

--> "open DIR" results in only filename in playlist

Does anybody knows how to get only the filename with "open file"??

best regards

Danko

Return to “Skins”