Is there a dark version of the default VLC skin?

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
juju_pepe
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Is there a dark version of the default VLC skin?

Postby juju_pepe » 04 Feb 2024 23:50

iam still waitin for a dark version of the default VLC skin
it makes no sense that in 2024 still does not exist dark mode for vlc
it seems to me that devs dropped this app

VLCMonster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VLCMonster » 23 Apr 2024 00:04

Yes, I hear you JuJu and completely agree 100%.

It boggles my mind why this has not been implemented to date.

I've tried using so called 'Dark' skins but they just mess up the UI.

Hey Devs, is it really that hard to add Dark Mode FFS ??

I have switched to another video player just for this reason and it works amazing in Dark Mode.

Actually I have grown quite fond of this other player and they are always implementing new features.... on a regular basis... unlike VLC.

It's like VideoLAN has moved on to other projects.

So be it.... until VLC gets Dark Mode I don't think I will be switching back.

markoatonc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby markoatonc » 10 May 2024 16:11

The pling link @rkint made isn't working. Is there anywhere else I can find the dark skin?
not sure if one of those are the skins they meant, but with Wayback machine I found the profile of the author, his accounts on both Pling and Opencode are closed down, but I found one with "2" added to the end of the username and here are all the skins from the person:
https://www.pling.com/u/1nsomn1ac2
Considering that the removed one also had "M11." in name I guess they are same person. might want to contact them there if you want further details.

sunblues
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sunblues » 11 May 2024 16:54

The pling link @rkint made isn't working. Is there anywhere else I can find the dark skin?
not sure if one of those are the skins they meant, but with Wayback machine I found the profile of the author, his accounts on both Pling and Opencode are closed down, but I found one with "2" added to the end of the username and here are all the skins from the person:
https://www.pling.com/u/1nsomn1ac2
Considering that the removed one also had "M11." in name I guess they are same person. might want to contact them there if you want further details.
Thank you so much!

VLCMonster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VLCMonster » 10 Jul 2024 01:56

Yes, I hear you JuJu and completely agree 100%.

It boggles my mind why this has not been implemented to date.

I've tried using so called 'Dark' skins but they just mess up the UI.

Hey Devs, is it really that hard to add Dark Mode FFS ??

I have switched to another video player just for this reason and it works amazing in Dark Mode.

Actually I have grown quite fond of this other player and they are always implementing new features.... on a regular basis... unlike VLC.

It's like VideoLAN has moved on to other projects.

So be it.... until VLC gets Dark Mode I don't think I will be switching back.

UPDATE:
I have found that there is a beta version for VLC 4.0 and this has dark mode available built in. Although it is a work in progress and is by no means completed it does seem to provide me for what I want which is dark mode.
Sure, there are glitches on startup (one error window that pops up in my case) but once you close the error window it does not affect playback. I am really liking the new format.

You can find the VLC 4.0 beta here: https://nightlies.videolan.org/

mmortal03
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mmortal03 » 11 Jul 2024 21:23

UPDATE:
I have found that there is a beta version for VLC 4.0 and this has dark mode available built in. Although it is a work in progress and is by no means completed it does seem to provide me for what I want which is dark mode.
Sure, there are glitches on startup (one error window that pops up in my case) but once you close the error window it does not affect playback. I am really liking the new format.

You can find the VLC 4.0 beta here: https://nightlies.videolan.org/

Yeah, I mentioned in this thread three years ago:
The VLC 4.0 nightlies *do* have a night mode under the View menu, but the interface in general in 4.0 is a big change, so it'll be interesting to see how much of an approximation of the classic interface we can get on it.
I haven't checked back into the nightlies lately, but, I assume it still has a very different design than people are used to?

mmortal03
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mmortal03 » 25 Aug 2024 03:07

It looks like someone has finally done it?: https://www.reddit.com/r/VLC/comments/1 ... or_vlc_30/

Return to “Skins”