Is there a dark version of the default VLC skin?

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
Redfish
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Is there a dark version of the default VLC skin?

Postby Redfish » 28 Dec 2021 14:42

Not same than native VLC skin.
No columns on playlist. Only file name of the medias is show, can't have the tags or time of each media.
So impossible to order them by time for example...

Redfish
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Redfish » 28 Dec 2021 14:43

Not same than native VLC skin.
No columns on playlist. Only file name of the medias is show, can't have the tags or time of each media.
So impossible to order them by time for example...

But nice skin anyway.
;)

Redfish
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Redfish » 31 Dec 2021 01:49

And bug inside.... Ctr+A don't work inside playlist, so impossible to select all medias.

VlcDARKMODE
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VlcDARKMODE » 13 Mar 2022 06:39

YES!!!! <3

bubu?
Developer
Developer
Operating System: macOS, iOS

Postby bubu? » 21 Mar 2022 16:17

if you are willing to try a development build with native dark mode, you can checkout the nightly builds here: https://nightlies.videolan.org/
Soomin Lee - bubu

gogmagog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gogmagog » 03 Jun 2022 07:12

I just created an account to ask for a dark mode, too

The default music interface is great but it's very annoying/hard on the eyes with all the white!

I'm on ubuntu right now, will check out that build link, thx!

milkstout
New Cone
New Cone

Postby milkstout » 13 Jun 2022 15:50

Hello all. If someone have dark blue theme. Something same with this color palette https://create.vista.com/colors/color-names/dark-blue/ I've searched nothing in the internet. If it possible to do your own dark theme?

synrgii
New Cone
New Cone

Postby synrgii » 08 Sep 2022 19:17

How the hell is a "dark" mode still not a standard feature BY NOW?
The existing VLC code somewhere has values that assign the current colors (they aren't random!)
So logically, isn't is just a matter of changing those values for the current colors --> to --> different values for inverse-appearing colors??

Since some/many/most of us literally never change the light/dark usage anyway, then the devs could just change those values, and make it a separate "Dark" version for full download.
NO other code would even need to be changed at all to add a "switch", or drop-down Light/Dark selector, or whatever.
There would literally be NO other programming needed.

If I knew how to do this I would! One of you coders know how.

synrgii
New Cone
New Cone

Postby synrgii » 08 Sep 2022 19:20

I spent hours going through tons of other skins. Many are so bad that they are a step backwards in all other functions.
Then some f'd up my VLC install so bad that I literally had to do a full uninstall and reinstall numerous times, just to be able to get back to using any other skin.

Just make it standard by now. What's the problem?
Are the VLC devs so weird that they don't even want a dark mode?

mmortal03
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mmortal03 » 08 Sep 2022 20:15

There's a way to modify the Qt theme on Linux already, so, it's possible they're just not very interested in devoting the time to implementing it on Windows?

https://www.linuxfordevices.com/tutoria ... vlc-player
Since some/many/most of us literally never change the light/dark usage anyway, then the devs could just change those values, and make it a separate "Dark" version for full download.
NO other code would even need to be changed at all to add a "switch", or drop-down Light/Dark selector, or whatever.
There would literally be NO other programming needed.
There's supposedly a way in the code to apply a stylesheet or change the application palette on Windows Qt applications, so, I'm not sure why someone hasn't done this with VLC:
https://successfulsoftware.net/2021/03/ ... plication/

jahway
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jahway » 29 Sep 2022 04:12

I spent hours going through tons of other skins. Many are so bad that they are a step backwards in all other functions.
Then some f'd up my VLC install so bad that I literally had to do a full uninstall and reinstall numerous times, just to be able to get back to using any other skin.

Just make it standard by now. What's the problem?
I love VLC, but my eyes really do hurt without a dark mode. The skins I tried shuffling thru made the UI terrible. I just created an account here to ask +1 to a native dark theme.

Tsyron
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Tsyron » 01 Nov 2022 21:40

Guys, I found the solution! (For Windows 10/11)

Apply this video: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSiSUiootRo] and VLC will be in Native Dark Style!

If you can't download the DeviantArt here's the link for the download [https://www.mediafire.com/file/3e5ix4qd ... s.zip/file]

Have Fun With Dark Mode!

KONEY
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KONEY » 17 Dec 2022 18:40

I add myself to the list of people needing JUST a dark version of the built-it default interface, nothing more. It actually should inherit colours from Windows10 settings but anything goes.
At this point everything on my system is dark and when I open VLC it's so bright I need welding glasses!

Every post I found until now suggest to install eDark skin but it's a joke... most native features are simply not available in the skin.

ricardo-reis-1970
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ricardo-reis-1970 » 23 Jan 2023 16:46

(Breathing in deeply and focusing on not insulting every dev's mother... hard!)

It's 2023 and I deeply regret that I must loudly echo everybody's concerns here. I am visually impaired, I have intra-ocular lenses with -19 diopters each. White backgrounds simply will NOT do.

On top of that, I've been doing both code development and knowledge transfer for almost 30 years. VLC Player's insistence on both not having a DARK MODE and force-feeding us with idiotic pseudo-futuristic (if you live in the 70s!) skins is starting to feel like Windows Media Player should be the way to go. See? I did not want to curse and you just forced me to say "Windows"!

I use both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 22.04. ALL the ridiculous skins move towards an aesthetic of retro-gaming and consistently either move controls beyond recognition or downright hide them. In all cases, all controls almost disappear, making the accessibility virtually impossible.

I tried the skin editor, but since there is no single STANDARD skin that I could start from, I am faced with the need to just make a skin from scratch, and VideoLAN's notion of instructions seems to be a bit like Tom Selleck's in the 90s Lipton Ice Tea add: "He'll probably make it."

Are you guys either come up with a Dark Mode, publish a skin for people above 13 years old, or simply wait for someone to come in and save the product? While you think about it, I'm going to try this Haruna and, who knows? Maybe you learn something about olympically ignoring the users' voice.

testgcd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby testgcd » 15 Feb 2023 23:43

For the love of god this is unreal....

One of the most popular video applications, that has a dark mode on mobile and on mac, doens't have the damn dark mode on windows for all these years... its obscene, instead we get regular updates that prioritize secondary issues, why the hell does the dev team just take a day off everything else and just change the colour values or have them get it from windows like other apps do?

It has been YEARS!!!? it is unbelievable.

This brightness causes PHYSICAL HARM to the user base, eyes get LITERALLY damaged. This is a damn health and safety issue.

rkint
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rkint » 19 Feb 2023 01:01

try this https://www.pling.com/p/1957118
it's a nice dark skin

mmortal03
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mmortal03 » 19 Feb 2023 02:53

it's a nice dark skin
It doesn't look like it has playback speed control like the default skin. That's the sort of reasons why people want a dark default UI.

rkint
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rkint » 19 Feb 2023 13:16

it's a nice dark skin
It doesn't look like it has playback speed control like the default skin. That's the sort of reasons why people want a dark default UI.
yeah, that's the least i can do to help myself while waiting for a native dark skin to set in.
i'll consider including those 2 speed control buttons in the next update if many really need them, as i never needed them myself.

rkint
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rkint » 28 Feb 2023 21:08

mmortal03
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mmortal03 » 01 Mar 2023 19:07

Thanks, I like how you implemented it. I'll continue to play around with it. The only problem I have with doing it this way is that you can't eyeball what speed it is set at.

rkint
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rkint » 02 Mar 2023 02:35

Thanks, I like how you implemented it. I'll continue to play around with it. The only problem I have with doing it this way is that you can't eyeball what speed it is set at.
you can edit the skin yourself by adding tooltips for both buttons -> tooltiptext="$Rx".
it will show the speed every time you hover over the button.

Galisma
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Galisma » 26 Mar 2023 21:07

Hi, Im using VLC in ubuntu mate and windows. ¿Why isnt a dark mode in windows? I cant find it. :?

mmortal03
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mmortal03 » 28 Mar 2023 19:21

you can edit the skin yourself by adding tooltips for both buttons -> tooltiptext="$Rx".
it will show the speed every time you hover over the button.
So, I've gotten as far as unpacking the skin with VLC Skin Editor (first time using it), but don't know where in the code those buttons' properties are.

rkint
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rkint » 12 Apr 2023 04:07

So, I've gotten as far as unpacking the skin with VLC Skin Editor (first time using it), but don't know where in the code those buttons' properties are.
in the latest update v6.2 there is a hidden button located just above the pause button, click it (only when both blue buttons are visible) to activate the speed info tooltips.

sunblues
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sunblues » 20 Jul 2023 15:29

The pling link @rkint made isn't working. Is there anywhere else I can find the dark skin?

Return to “Skins”