Korean letters unreadable on a skin downloaded from the skin website

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
jaehochoe
New Cone
New Cone

Korean letters unreadable on a skin downloaded from the skin website

Postby jaehochoe » 10 Jul 2017 19:27

When you open a video file on VLC, the title of the file appears on the skin. But the problem is when you open a video file whose title contains Korean letters, those Korean letters become blank squares, which makes it impossible to identify the file correctly.
To help improve understanding, I add two different images that clearly show how the title of the file renders awkward when using the skin downloaded from the Videolan skin website. I hope this problem vanishes with the collaboration of VLC users worldwide.

Luna Moon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Windows

Re: Korean letters unreadable on a skin downloaded from the skin website

Postby Luna Moon » 09 Feb 2018 21:48

I have the same problem. Could anybody help?

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 10 Feb 2018 03:19

Hello,

This is a problem. Skin developers choose whatever fonts (.ttf, .otf, ...) they like best. But, those files don't necessarily have entries for all languages.
The default skin uses the default font for the main window. The file is FreeSans.ttf. It works for Japanese but not for Korean.
An easy way to solve the problem here is to download a font that supports Korean. A quick search for free fonts on the Internet gives for instance the site https://fr.fonts2u.com/ and the first font found for Korean is CODE2000.TTF.
You can download the file, put it in the same directory as FreeSans.ttf, edit the skin config file (theme.xml), add "<Font id="defaultfont" file="CODE2000.TTF"/>", rezip the vlt file and it works.
You could also just rename CODE2000.ttf as FreeSans.ttf. and it can also work, but that is really ugly.

Luna Moon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Windows

Postby Luna Moon » 18 Feb 2018 21:05

Hello,

This is a problem. Skin developers choose whatever fonts (.ttf, .otf, ...) they like best. But, those files don't necessarily have entries for all languages.
The default skin uses the default font for the main window. The file is FreeSans.ttf. It works for Japanese but not for Korean.
An easy way to solve the problem here is to download a font that supports Korean. A quick search for free fonts on the Internet gives for instance the site https://fr.fonts2u.com/ and the first font found for Korean is CODE2000.TTF.
You can download the file, put it in the same directory as FreeSans.ttf, edit the skin config file (theme.xml), add "<Font id="defaultfont" file="CODE2000.TTF"/>", rezip the vlt file and it works.
You could also just rename CODE2000.ttf as FreeSans.ttf. and it can also work, but that is really ugly.
Wow, thank you so much for you're great answer. I really apreciate your help! I will try it right now and am looking forward to finally see the korean letters. Thanks again, erwan10.

Return to “Skins”