Removing right click menu from Linux skin

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
peluchex23
New Cone
New Cone

Removing right click menu from Linux skin

Postby peluchex23 » 05 Apr 2017 19:27

Hello all,

I have been given the task of preventing users from controlling out VLC Player.

We have some 50 live stream cameras that can be viewed using VLC Player.
Our environment is extremely limited for the end users.
They can only view these cameras using a Linux Desktop Menu that we provide.

I created a skin to remove ALL buttons from VLC. The end user can only Maximize, UnMaximize, Minimize, Close, Resize and FullScreen the window.
The only problem is that when they right click on any part of the window a menu comes up allowing all the functionality that we are trying to remove.

How can I restrict the right click menu from showing up?

The player is VLC media player 2.0.4 running on RHEL 6 Workstation Edition.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Removing right click menu from Linux skin

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Apr 2017 20:53

You can remove the Qt module, maybe.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

peluchex23
New Cone
New Cone

Postby peluchex23 » 06 Apr 2017 15:07

Thank you for the completely useless reply. Please can someone actually post a useful message?

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 06 Apr 2017 20:50

Well, actually the easiest way to meet these requirements is indeed to remove the dependance on the Qt module. The only reason why the Qt module is launched by the skin engine is to provide popup menus, key accelerators and dialog boxes (preferences, message log, ....). No Qt module and you just disable all these things. As of today, the skin engine won't start if the Qt module is not launched successfully, but that should not be too difficult to patch the source code and have a skin engine run without the Qt module.

peluchex23
New Cone
New Cone

Postby peluchex23 » 07 Apr 2017 13:18

Well, actually the easiest way to meet these requirements is indeed to remove the dependance on the Qt module. The only reason why the Qt module is launched by the skin engine is to provide popup menus, key accelerators and dialog boxes (preferences, message log, ....). No Qt module and you just disable all these things. As of today, the skin engine won't start if the Qt module is not launched successfully, but that should not be too difficult to patch the source code and have a skin engine run without the Qt module.
Thank you for the response. We are using an older version and we are not allowed to build the source code our self. I search the forums and found a request going back to 2005 requesting a feature to remove the menu. Do we need to start a petition on change.org :)

Can you give me an example on how to block the Qt module?
All I need is actually a video to play. Well I also need to maximize, unmaximize, minimize, toggle full screen mode and close the window. These features will probably need the module but it is worth the try.

Thank you,

Gerardo Diaz

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 07 Apr 2017 14:15

Can you give me an example on how to block the Qt module?
There is no way to block the Qt module and still use the skin engine in the current version. But, as I said, it should be easy to write a patch that makes the Qt module optional and therefore allows to disable all popupmenus, key accelerators and the various dialog boxes.
All I need is actually a video to play. Well I also need to maximize, unmaximize, minimize, toggle full screen mode and close the window. These features will probably need the module
These aforementioned features don't require the Qt module. They will still be available if the skin engine is run without the Qt module.

Alternatively, you can also opt for the dummy interface (vlc -I dummy file:///path/video.ext). You will get the video to be played back in a basic window. That may just be what you are looking for.

Return to “Skins”