Album Art Crashes VLC

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
Grumpus Maximus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Album Art Crashes VLC

Postby Grumpus Maximus » 20 Mar 2014 17:22

I am very new to this project so please be patient. I am creating a custom skin using VLC Skin Editor 0.8.6dev. My skin works well except when I want to replace an image with Cover Art. When I check this box and then click to "Test in VLC", VLC does not load. When I save the xml and then try to open again, I get the error "org.xml.sax.SAXParseException_ Element type Image must be followed by either attribute specifications > or />".

I have opened the xml using a simple text editor and added the space before "art="true" as has been stated in the forum but this does not work. I have copied lines and attributes for the image ID and source image from other skins that do work, but I still get this problem. I have used different images but nothing is helping. When I make the change in the text editor and save the xml, and then try to open in VLC Skin Editor, I get the error. And when I return to the text editor to open the xml, the changes have been reversed. What is causing this? I have even tried to create a much simpler skin from scratch using completely different images but still I get this error. It is seeming like the Skin Editor might have some bug regarding the use if the art="true" with new skins. It does not appear to have problems with older skins (or rather, maybe skins created in an older version of the Editor).

Is it possible to merge one skin into another?

The part which is failing looks like this:

<Panel id="Black_Music_NowPlaying_Art" x="31" y="110" width="0" height="0" rightbottom="rightbottom">
<Image id="ArtBG_Black_Music_NowPlaying.background" image="ZuneLogo" art="false" resize="scale" rightbottom="rightbottom" xkeepratio="true" ykeepratio="true"/>
<Image id="ArtBG_Black_Music_NowPlaying.art" image="ZuneLogo" art="true" resize="scale2" rightbottom="rightbottom" xkeepratio="true" ykeepratio="true"/>
</Panel>

Please help...this is very frustrating. Thank you

Grumpus Maximus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Album Art Crashes VLC

Postby Grumpus Maximus » 26 Mar 2014 13:00

I think I may have found a work around this. I make changes in the Skin Editor and then completely close the editor. I also make sure VLC is not running. I can then open the XML in a text editor and make corrections (I use the basic Notepad app in Windows and make sure to click save twice). Close Notepad and start VLC. It seems to run OK after. But I have found that when I re-open the file in the Skin Editor and save changes, the changes have been reversed again. So you have to make corrections in Notepad, open the XML in Skin Editor and export as VLT without making changes or saving (if you do, at least in my case, it no longer works). Another fix would be to make your changes, save and export to VLT. Then use 7-Zip to open the VLT, change the xml in there, and then close the archive. These methods appear to work but it seems a little cumbersome for such a simple command to need this type of work around. I am sure the developers will fix this soon but for now, if anyone is having this problem, then these methods was how I was able to get it to work.

Grumpus Maximus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Grumpus Maximus » 03 Apr 2014 18:01

OK...editing in 7-Zip does not work. I have removed the art="true" from the xml and the vlt works just fine. This must be a bug in the Skin Editor. So, for now I must use the skin without album art, which is very disappointing.

Grumpus Maximus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Grumpus Maximus » 28 Aug 2014 22:13

I have forgotten to update this. I found that instead of using Notepad, I use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 for Applications. I first save the project in VLC Editor. I leave VLC Editor open. I navigate to the skin's folder and open the xml in MVS2005. Once open in MVS2005, I can make the required changes and then save it. Now, I go back to VLC Editor and export to VLT straight away (no save). Works fine!

-Grumps

HarryPoter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HarryPoter » 15 Sep 2014 09:27

Then use 7-Zip to open the VLT, change the xml in there, and then close the archive. These methods appear to work but it seems a little cumbersome for such a simple command to need this type of work around. I am sure the developers will fix this soon but for now, if anyone is having this problem, then these methods was how I was able to get it to work.
…..Em Mikky…..

Return to “Skins”