Skin browser does not work

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
tarazed
New Cone
New Cone

Skin browser does not work

Postby tarazed » 15 May 2010 18:23

vlc 0.9.8a on Mandriva Linux 2009.1
After several years of using the default setup for VLC I thought about using skins. It looked like a simple enough procedure; downloaded the skins package, copied the .vlt files to .local/share/vlc/skins2 and checked that they were all there. So far so good. Ran vlc from the command line and switched from the default interface to skins. Hit the browse button and nothing happened. I then tried to set an initial skin by typing in the full pathname to a randomly selected skin but that had no effect. i.e. restarted vlc and it came up in the default native mode. Is there any way to force the application to accept a skin? Like editing a configuration file somewhere? The only file I could find was an XML file which had something to do with playlists and media library.

It is such a brilliant application but I would like some more control over the appearance, trivial I know, but there you go.

Len

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Re: Skin browser does not work

Postby erwan10 » 16 May 2010 09:16

on Linux, vlc0.9 and vlc1.0 vlc have got many problems as far as the skin engine is concerned.

soon-to-be-released vlc1.1 should work out those problems.

Erwan10

tarazed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tarazed » 16 May 2010 20:32

OK, thanks. I'll wait.

Len

tarazed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tarazed » 17 May 2010 14:55

Help forthcoming from the Mandriva newbie list. It appeared that I did not have the skin engine installed. A quick urpmi vlc-more-skins did the trick. It installed the svlc package and now all is well.

Len

Return to “Skins”