skinnable fullscreen Controller (skins2 on Linux)

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
erwan10
Developer
Developer

skinnable fullscreen Controller (skins2 on Linux)

Postby erwan10 » 17 Dec 2009 00:26

Hi skins devs and others,

A proposal for a skinnable fullscreen controller has just been committed in the dev branch (v1.1)

Skins devs who wish to add a fullscreen controller to their skins will be able to implement one more window in theme.xml.
This window just needs to be declared with id="fullscreenController"

This window is processed a bit differently. It is available only in fullscreen mode via a toggle button (middle button of mouse)

The old default skins has been modified to add this feature (the smallest main window was copied to become a fullscreen controller). Result is quite nice.

For now, this feature is only available on Linux (where vout redesign is implemented). It will also be available on Windows as soon as the redesign is finished.

comments or requests welcome ...

Erwan10

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Re: skinnable fullscreen Controller (skins2 on Linux)

Postby 3breadt » 17 Dec 2009 10:00

Is there the possibility to let the window move automatically to the horizontal center and vertical bottom of the screen?

Is there the possibility that it appears when the user moves the mouse and automatically disappears after n seconds the mouse has not been moved? Because I think hardly a user will find it out by themselves that they can activate the full screen controller with the middle mouse button. And remember not everyone has such a button, e.g. notebooks w/ no external mouse, old mice.
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 17 Dec 2009 18:16

Is there the possibility to let the window move automatically to the horizontal center and vertical bottom of the screen?
Okay. not yet implemented, but it could indeed be an option.
In today's implementation, the fullscreen controller position is saved when quitting vlc.
Is there the possibility that it appears when the user moves the mouse and automatically disappears after n seconds the mouse has not been moved? Because I think hardly a user will find it out by themselves that they can activate the full screen controller with the middle mouse button. And remember not everyone has such a button, e.g. notebooks w/ no external mouse, old mice.
Yes, I was thinking of implementing it as qt4 vlc does.
The middle button of the mouse (hardcoded in vlc core) is the vlc 'natural' way to activate an interface. But, your remark makes sense and it should be possible to also implement moving the cursor and n sec activation with (or without) fading out

Erwan10

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 19 Dec 2009 12:02

Great :) Your work is highly appreciated.
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

aymen99
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aymen99 » 06 Jan 2010 17:13

Okay. not yet implemented, but it could indeed be an option.
In today's implementation, the fullscreen controller position is saved when quitting vlc.
Yes, I was thinking of implementing it as qt4 vlc does.
The middle button of the mouse (hardcoded in vlc core) is the vlc 'natural' way to activate an interface. But, your remark makes sense and it should be possible to also implement moving the cursor and n sec activation with (or without) fading out

Erwan10
thanks man,you didn great job
I love VLC :D

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 06 Jan 2010 18:47

Update on this fullscreen controller :

- It is available in dev branch (vlc1.1) (see nightly builds)

- Tested successfully on Linux and WinXP. Should also work on Vista and Win7.

- A fullscreen controller has been added to the default skins shipped with vlc
It is just a copy of the main windows. If the original creator of the skins wishes to rework it, he is welcome to do so.

- For now, this fullscreen controller can be activated either by pressing the 'i' hotkey or by clicking on the mouse middle button. Remarks already expressed (activated on mouse move and centered automatically if requested) should be implemented later on.

Have fun with it :)

Erwan10

colt45
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby colt45 » 03 May 2010 07:44

This is great news. So Erwan if I understand this correctly, the fullscreen controller will appear in fullscreen mode and work with older skins2 skins (pre vlc 0.9.x) that were created before this new development was committed? Or does this only apply to recent skins?

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Re: skinnable fullscreen Controller

Postby erwan10 » 03 May 2010 09:49

No, what that only means is that skin developpers can now implement a skinnable fullscreen controller.

But, no miracle, a fullscreen controller won't come out of nowhere ...

For the skin shipped with vlc, a fullscreen controller has been implemented in vlc1.1

Erwan10

Return to “Skins”