What are the limitations for animated bitpmaps

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
rtjwilde
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

What are the limitations for animated bitpmaps

Postby rtjwilde » 01 Apr 2010 00:49

I'm testing an idea I have for an animated image in my skin but it doesn't seem to be working. I've read the image needs to be setup vertically in a film strip type fashion which is what I have done. However, i'm curious if there are other limitations.

For example is there a limitation on the amount of frames the image can have? Mine is 99 frames.

What about the dimensions of the image? Any limitations there? My image is 72 pixels wide and the height is 1386 pixels with 14 pixel high frames.

Also how does the image get processed for the animation? Does it get calculated from the top down or from the bottom up?

And oh yeah I had my fps set at the standard 24 fps.

ooooohhh almost forgot the image was a .png

If there are no other limits than the vertical layout then I probably have a bug.

Thanks to all who reply.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Re: What are the limitations for animated bitpmaps

Postby 3breadt » 01 Apr 2010 00:56

Could you describe what's not working or share the png file?
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

rtjwilde
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rtjwilde » 01 Apr 2010 01:31

Could you describe what's not working or share the png file?
Basically when I test it in VLC it stays static at the very top frame.

rtjwilde
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rtjwilde » 01 Apr 2010 03:00

I think I know what's wrong. Haven't tested it yet but I think my frames are to close together for animated bitmaps. Having the frames that close together works fine for sliders but I'm guessing not animated bitmaps. And I probably have to many frames. I'll run a test later if that is what problem is I'll post it so others know

Okay just finished trouble shooting and everything failed. It's a complete mystery. It's either a bug or it's going to be one of those OMG!!! can't believe I missed that after someone says to me "did your try that 1 little thing?'' that I don't know about.

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 01 Apr 2010 10:40

Hi,

Animated images should work fine. AFAIK, there are no limitations at all.

Maybe one common error is to give the 'height' parameter the height value of a frame.
Actually, 'height' expects the whole png height size ( i.e height_for_one_frame * nbframes ).
If you give the height of a frame, it means the first frame is divided into nbframes subframes..... :(

Erwan10

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 01 Apr 2010 12:34

@erwan10: You don't specify the height of animated bitmaps anywhere in the skin code.
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 01 Apr 2010 14:06

What I mean is that, in the following example, width and height refer to the whole image size ( not the frame size). It also means that the height is often far greater than the width. One can easily be mistaken .....

<SubBitmap id="id1" x="339" y="424" width="24" height="342" nbframes="18" fps="36" />

Erwan10

rtjwilde
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rtjwilde » 01 Apr 2010 18:31

I'm using the VLC skin editor and I am not using the subbitmap option so in that sense aLtgLasS is right. No height or width need specifying and if they did, there no where to specify in the VLC editor. I think I have glitch. Actually last night a went and cleared my Java cache and maybe I'll get lucky. Sometimes it can be something as simple as that so wish me luck.

Return to “Skins”