About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
Adanur
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Changing skin

Postby Adanur » 22 Dec 2008 20:43

you don't understand...
i can't change skin...
i have the vlctch skin now, and when I choose another skin, it doesn't change...
it stays the same...
i've closed and opened vlc but it continues in the same skin.
what can i do?

skin crafter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby skin crafter » 26 Dec 2008 03:20

what version of vlc you have and what is your operating system? maybe there is a problem in the vlc version or there is a problem regards on your operating system try. And if there is no problem, try go to preferences then do not enable the natural in the interface because when you enable it, the interface will be the default interface. I hope it will help to you..

masto
New Cone
New Cone

Postby masto » 29 Dec 2008 03:42

I'm new to VLC media player and have the same problem. Version 0.9.8a on WinXP appears to have troubles with skins. The menu command Interface--> Skin auswählen (english: choose skin) does not work. The skin can only be changed in the main Preferences menu... and some skins do not offer this menu. The only way to swich the skin is then the "Reset VLC media player preferences and cache files" link that was installed in the start menu of Windows. This swiches back to the standard (no skin) surface. From there you can change to a new skin.
If you did not use the installer call
vlc.exe --reset-config --reset-plugins-cache vlc://quit

sanil
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sanil » 07 Jan 2009 23:24

thanks for the information guys. thanks a lot.

klebervirgilio
New Cone
New Cone

Postby klebervirgilio » 19 Jan 2009 04:16

Hi!!
Buddies, i'm brazilian! So, I don't know: speak/read/write in English but... I'll go to try!
I've a problem when VLC is starting!
I changed the skin vlc for a similar to Windows Media Player.... just that now I don't achieve back for the default mode VLC...

There is some command that reconfigure the VLC for default mode?

Thanks!
God bless you!

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 19 Jan 2009 04:27

Hi!!
Buddies, i'm brazilian! So, I don't know: speak/read/write in English but... I'll go to try!
I've a problem when VLC is starting!
I changed the skin vlc for a similar to Windows Media Player.... just that now I don't achieve back for the default mode VLC...

There is some command that reconfigure the VLC for default mode?

Thanks!
God bless you!
Perhaps de Start Menu of assistance will be to you? :P
Navigate to: Start Menu -> All Programs -> VideoLAN -> Quick Settings -> Interface, select: Set Main Interface to QT (Default).

klebervirgilio
New Cone
New Cone

Postby klebervirgilio » 19 Jan 2009 22:48

hahahhhaa ops, I forgot to say... I use Linux! Ubuntu 8.10.....
But, thanks a lot!

I yet need your HELPPP!!!

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 20 Jan 2009 13:06

Run
vlc -I qt
and then you have VLC back running in its default interface, but don't forget going into the preferences and setting it as default then.
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

klebervirgilio
New Cone
New Cone

Postby klebervirgilio » 22 Jan 2009 23:42

Ok! Thanks a LOT everybody!!!! But... I resolve alone!
What I did make -> (shell) $ sudo rm -rf ~/.config/vlc
I don't know if is correct mode... but resolved(past..rssssss!)

Byeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

klebervirgilio
New Cone
New Cone

Postby klebervirgilio » 22 Jan 2009 23:44

... my English is a --please stay polite--!!! ahahhahahhhaa!!!!

oakland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oakland » 01 Mar 2009 11:34

love your media player, thanks for your time in dev and releases.

FYI Might help if you updated this sticky the information is unusably outdated.

oakland

kchumon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kchumon » 25 Mar 2009 07:11

Ok, I got it working back with the suggestion of "sudo vlc -l qt" but my other problem is that i can't copy the skins files to the skins2 folder looks like i'm not the owner of the folder and don't have permission to change anything there.
I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 and Vlc 0.9.4

Any suggestions on that issue? tried to search the forums but nothing came with the searches i've tried. I've read "try ~/.vlc/skins2" on this topic but the dir doesn't exist on my tree

I'm a long time user of Vlc on windows and Mac and love it. been using it for more than 3 years now and never had a prob but kind of new with linux :) thanks in advance for the help

jjamison
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jjamison » 26 Mar 2009 02:05

I have the same problem. I'm new to Ubuntu (and linux in general) so I'm not sure if this is a Linux issue or a VLC issue. If anyone has an answer, it would be very much appreciated.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 27 Mar 2009 12:23

Look at the skins page. It says "~/.share/vlc/skins2" not "~/.vlc/skins2". Put your downloaded skins there. That shouldn't need admin rights as ~ is your user profile home folder. If the folder doesn't exist, create it. Make sure that your file browser shows hidden files, as .share is a hidden directory.

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 10 Jun 2009 10:46

For Linux, I'm afraid the doc is out of date. vlc now uses the ~/.local directory.

rather copy the .vlt skins into the following directory : ~/.local/share/vlc/skins2 (works on Debian)

Erwan10

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 10 Jun 2009 17:45

d'oh, i'll fix the skins page

fullbug
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fullbug » 14 Jun 2009 18:55

Hi, I read through this thread before posting, didnt seem to find anything that will help me....
I'm on a Windows XP home SP3, I have tried installing skins without success, I am using the latest version of VLC, but I cant get any skins to work....
I tried resetting the player preferences and cache files, but that doesnt help, no matter what I do no skin will work, it just goes back to the default skin....
Made sure to make sure skins are checked, all the simple stuff, ect, but no luck, any suggestions?

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 15 Jun 2009 08:52

Which version of VLC do you use? Some versions of the 0.9 series had huge problems with skins. Try 1.0.0-rc3. Download links are in the news at videolan.org

fullbug
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fullbug » 15 Jun 2009 18:11

Installing 1.0.0-rc3 did the trick, thank you!
Someone should post that info somewhere where its easy to find.....

vallavan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vallavan » 12 Jul 2009 06:22

Dear Friends..

i am new here. i have downloaded new vlc player. how to change skins? in the menu bar there no 'settings' i can see only
Media - Playback - Audio - Video - Tools - View - Help

please help.

i have new version : 1.0.0

Thanks
Vallavan
Dubai

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 12 Jul 2009 10:38

In tools / Preferences, just choose "skins" and you will get the default skins. (You need to quit and restart vlc for the choice to be taken into account.)

Then, you can get many more skins on http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.html. Those are .vlt files that you need to copy into one of the skins directories of vlc (several possibilities). For a start, you can copy them in the same place where the default.vlt file already lies. They will then be proposed in the Select skins submenu of the popup menu (right click).

Erwan10

kurgen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kurgen » 26 Jul 2009 07:40

by ipkiss on Sun May 28, 2006 3:11 pm

There are several ways to start the skins2 interface:
- start 'vlc -I skins2' (change the shortcuts, and file associations)
- use the 'Settings --> Switch interface' option in the menu
- open the preferences, and in the 'Interface --> General' section change the 'Interface module' from 'Default' to 'Skinnable interface' (in the dropdown control, not in the checkbox). Do not forget to save the preferences, and then restart VLC.

Once you have the skins2 interface, use the Ctrl-S shortcut (or the popup menu) to load another skin that you have downloaded on the website.

And next time, search the forums before Asking...(your such an asshat for saying that to this guy)
And next time don't just assume that one did not search the forums before asking.
Why is it so hard to Change a skin Why offer people to download the skins, if there is NO WAY TO CHANGE THEM..?
HOW DO I CHANGE THE SKINS ON VLC 1.0.0..? DOES IT really need to be so hard of a task? I fallowed every piece of advice on this topic(ABOVE) and NOT ONE METHOD WORKS. the default skin SUCKS! there is no PLAY RANDOM FILES button. there is almost no Controls at all. I like VLC but Holy Crap it is so hard to use.. ALL I WANT TO DO IS CHANGE THE SKIN, So... I can USE the RANDOM FILE PLAY OPTION you know the feature that is not offered in the default skin. WHY IS VLC SET UP TO BE ANYTHING BUT USER FRIENDLY. not one of them above mentioned methods work. Does anyone know what they are talking about that can help.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 26 Jul 2009 13:26

Kurgen, you must be totally blind, stop yelling.

As soon as you open VLC's preferences a big fat option appears where you can choose between the native interface and the skins interface, really not hard to find. In Windows there are even shortcuts to do so in the start menu!

When you are in the skins mode changing skin is simply possible by rightclicking on the current skin and then going to interface->change skin.

And there are RANDOM FILE PLAY BUTTONS in both the old and the new default skin and the native interface.

Note to the moderators: Maybe delete this topic, as it contains highly outdated info on the first few pages and replace it with a hot topic containing the info for 1.0.0

Return to “Skins”