Big buttons

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
bridgette
New Cone
New Cone

Big buttons

Postby bridgette » 15 Feb 2008 17:52

Hi

I work with students who have severe physical disabilities, setting up computer systems for them. I would really like to set up a system where they can play media by clicking on large buttons for play, pause and stop. Does anyone know if there are any skins available with extra large buttons? Or otherwise a skin that is scalable so that I can enlarge it to make the buttons bigger? Essentially I would like to have a button bar at the top of the screen so that the media player doesn't take over a lot of the screen space. I am a therapist and wouldn't even know how to start creating skins for this program. Does anyone know if something like this is available?

Thanks,
Bridgette

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Big buttons

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Feb 2008 18:09

No, there is no skins so far that can have very big buttons. You might need to do it. Sorry about that.

However, there is a new skins deisgner, arriving.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 16 Feb 2008 03:20

However, there is a new skins deisgner, arriving.
Really? From where? :P

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby joseph5 » 18 Feb 2008 18:56

I am a therapist and wouldn't even know how to start creating skins for this program. Does anyone know if something like this is available?
There is the VLC Skin Creator:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38973

slythfox
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby slythfox » 25 Feb 2008 02:24

I might as well note that I develop skin designs using a program called Inkscape. Because of this programs awesomeness, I am able to replicate the same theme at any size I want, without loosing image quality. This is a good reason for skin developers to use Inkscape over Photoshop for skin designing.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 28 Feb 2008 14:07

I might as well note that I develop skin designs using a program called Inkscape. Because of this programs awesomeness, I am able to replicate the same theme at any size I want, without loosing image quality. This is a good reason for skin developers to use Inkscape over Photoshop for skin designing.
No not really. In VLC you still use raster images and develop a skin for a specific size and thus the capabilities of Photoshop clearly outrun the capabilities of Inkscape, though its a great program for vector art. Photoshop FTW!
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

slythfox
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby slythfox » 02 Mar 2008 03:23

No not really. In VLC you still use raster images and develop a skin for a specific size and thus the capabilities of Photoshop clearly outrun the capabilities of Inkscape, though its a great program for vector art. Photoshop FTW!
But you can export Inkscape sketches into with no problem. Photoshop still has the issue of having to recreate a button for a larger size. Of course, Inkscape doesn't meet full svg 1.1 standards yet. (On the other hand, it took Illustrator 11+ versions to "meet" svg standards.)

I hate to turn this thread into something else. I was just saying... :D

Spyme
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.7 Win32 / 1.2.0
Operating System: Win7 64

Postby Spyme » 04 Nov 2011 14:31

Drop me a PN and i may able to provide you with a skin that meet your requirements.
Try the Advantage.VLC:Sky Skin.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 24 Dec 2011 09:10

I like.. big.. buttons and I can not lie
You other LANers can't deny
When the player loads up at an itty bitty pace and a too small inter-face you get...the idea.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Skins”