Changing skin

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
Guest452452

Changing skin

Postby Guest452452 » 28 May 2006 13:58

Hi

I dont know how i´m supposed to change the skin.
Can anyone help me i dont know what to do at all!!

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 28 May 2006 15:11

There are several ways to start the skins2 interface:
- start 'vlc -I skins2' (change the shortcuts, and file associations)
- use the 'Settings --> Switch interface' option in the menu
- open the preferences, and in the 'Interface --> General' section change the 'Interface module' from 'Default' to 'Skinnable interface' (in the dropdown control, not in the checkbox). Do not forget to save the preferences, and then restart VLC.

Once you have the skins2 interface, use the Ctrl-S shortcut (or the popup menu) to load another skin that you have downloaded on the website.

And next time, search the forums before asking...

12step
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 12step » 24 Oct 2006 03:07

Code: Select all

- open the preferences, and in the 'Interface --> General' section change the 'Interface module' from 'Default' to 'Skinnable interface' (in the dropdown control, not in the checkbox). Do not forget to save the preferences, and then restart VLC.
thank you very much for posting this. I've tried countless suggestions other people have posted. this was the first out of possibly a dozen that worked for me.

fyi to other users experiencing difficulties:
1. i'm using vlc 0.8.6
2. the fix above will load the skinned window of your choice when clicking the desktop icon.
3. in addition, the above fix will also load the skinned interface of your choice when vlc is loaded by clicking on any associated media file (mpg, avi, wav...etc.)

i hope others find this as useful as i have. again, thank you ipkiss. :D

evil_duc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

don't do this if your on windows 98SE or prev

Postby evil_duc » 21 Nov 2006 02:18

The skins do not work on 98

but If you change the default to skinable in the options the player will
always open with the skin

on 98SE an error message will alway appear

/ VLC has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown/

If you did that you will have to unistal VLC and the following folder

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\VLC

and reinstal after

It woks perfectly on other windows

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: don't do this if your on windows 98SE or prev

Postby ipkiss » 21 Nov 2006 07:30

The skins do not work on 98
What version of VLC do you use?
/ VLC has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown/
I don't have win98 to reproduce the problem. If you install DrMingw (part of the mingw-utils package, very light), it will allow to have a better understanding of the problem (but i will have to send you a debug version of VLC). Tell me if you're interested.
If you did that you will have to unistal VLC and the following folder

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\VLC

and reinstal after
No need to uninstall/reinstall, removing the vlcrc is enough to go back to the default interface.

evil_duc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby evil_duc » 06 Dec 2006 23:57

If you install DrMingw (part of the mingw-utils package, very light)
I don't know how to use this

winzip tels me it can not open it

I'm sorry I posted my comment and forgot it but I would be happy to help you solve the problem(or maybe my problem) on windows 98

but I don't know if I have the sufficient knowledge to help you

here is the details of the message I get:

VLC caused an invalid page fault in
module LIBVLC.DLL at 0167:62e3402c.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=62e3402c EFLGS=00210246
EBX=45764e50 SS=016f ESP=0074f460 EBP=009044ec
ECX=00000000 DS=016f ESI=00000004 FS=7cef
EDX=45764ef0 ES=016f EDI=00905510 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 70 34 89 5c 24 08 89 3c 24 89 74 24 04 ff 97
Stack dump:
008c1100 45764e50 0074f480 618c977e 00904509 008ee6ac 0000000d 00000000 45764e50 45774a84 00904509 00000000 00000044 00000000 008c1100 6182e251

evil_duc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby evil_duc » 07 Dec 2006 01:18

I just found out that the skin works perfectly on version 0.8.4 and 0.8.1(the ones in between also I guess but havent test them)

I dont know what is the problem with version 0.8.5

are there majors changes from 8.4 to 8.5

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 07 Dec 2006 19:45

are there majors changes from 8.4 to 8.5
Yes, a lot. See http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/browser/trunk/NEWS for the highlights.
Winzip tels me it can not open it
Then use 7-zip, or another un-archiver program...
But even if we get a backtrace and a raw idea of the problem, it's not sure that we will understand it precisely enough for a fix, as no developer has access to win98...

vrikis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vrikis » 27 Dec 2006 12:01

Code: Select all

thank you very much for posting this. I've tried countless suggestions other people have posted. this was the first out of possibly a dozen that worked for me.

fyi to other users experiencing difficulties:
1. i'm using vlc 0.8.6
2. the fix above will load the skinned window of your choice when clicking the desktop icon.
3. in addition, the above fix will also load the skinned interface of your choice when vlc is loaded by clicking on any associated media file (mpg, avi, wav...etc.)

i hope others find this as useful as i have. again, thank you ipkiss. :D
For some reason that does not happen to me. I get a window with the video but no skin at all. It also reads 'VLC (hardware YUV overlay DirectX output)'. This is annoying because I need to open VLC and then drag the file into it every time I watch a movie or something.

I am using:
Windows XP ServicePack 2 (updated with automatic updates)
VLC latest (from the installer 'vlc-0.8.6-win32')
Standard installation
The skin 'Askin'

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

EDIT:
So far I have tried:
- Reinstall VLC under 'Recommended' and 'Full' option, both times whilst uninstalling also using the option to delete the cache and any other files.
- This now also happens when no other theme is applied.

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 27 Dec 2006 20:49

Before trying to use the "askin" skin, does the default skin (white, with black buttons) work? For example, what happens if you reset the preferences, (re)start vlc, and select Settings --> Switch interface --> skins 2?

vrikis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vrikis » 27 Dec 2006 22:55

Before trying to use the "askin" skin, does the default skin (white, with black buttons) work? For example, what happens if you reset the preferences, (re)start vlc, and select Settings --> Switch interface --> skins 2?
I have reinstalled VLC again using the option to get rid of the cache etc. Installed 0.8.6 using the full installation and not applied a skin yet. I have also reset all the settings.

The problem is I, that even after I technically got rid of every trace of having VLC it still does the same thing. It happens when I double click on a file, when I right click open with VLC on a file and just every other way of opening a file straight into VLC. I only get an interface when I open VLC and then open a file through VLC, either through drag and drop or through file -> open.

It's weird but I'll see what other hints I can give that might fix it. I'll keep trying as well.

Please don't laugh... but restarting the PC fixed it. Damn why didn't I think of that first.

mad1231moody
New Cone
New Cone

just tell me

Postby mad1231moody » 24 Jan 2007 19:18

i'm just not getting the 'interface module',where do i hav to change 'default' to skinnable'...all i want is that whenever i double-click on the vlc icon it should start with the skin i choose

electric bill
New Cone
New Cone

Postby electric bill » 11 Feb 2007 01:02

I'm one of the moderators at forums.pcper.com and all I can say is these are some of the worst directions I've ever received.
#1 - I downloaded a skin from the site and all I got was a zip file and when I unzipped it I got nothing but PNG files and an XML file. In other words nothing I could use.
#2 - If you download the skin pack http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sk ... -skins.zip and unzip it into C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\skins you will see the elusive VLT files.
#3 - This is wrong - open the preferences, and in the 'Interface --> General' section change the 'Interface module' from 'Default' to 'Skinnable interface' (in the dropdown control, not in the checkbox). Do not forget to save the preferences, and then restart VLC.
You need to go to Preferences>Interface>Main interfaces to find the drop down menu with Skinnable Interface.
#4 - Now you can go to the submenu Skins and click Advanced options and in the 'Skin to use dialog' box change C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\skins\default.vlt to something like C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\skins\WMP11.vlt or another one of your choice.

Btw the skin I used as an example will let you easily change to another skin if you click on the VideoLan icon then Select skin.

Hope this helps someone else.

Bill

Asim
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Asim » 11 Feb 2007 13:31

I'm one of the moderators at forums.pcper.com
that's no status symbol here ;)

anyway... the skin you downloaded which turned out as a .zip file... could you care to explain what OS/browser you're running? i'm assuming you have some flavor of *nix?

- Asim

NubbYes-StupidNo
New Cone
New Cone

I can´t fix !it

Postby NubbYes-StupidNo » 17 Jun 2007 22:36

Hello!
I have tried to go in too the setting and changed the "dropdownlist" to skin able interface.... But I can´t start the ones I really wanted like WMP11.vlt or neon.vlt I am able to chose some other but not these ones at lest...
Is there something wrong with them or what´s/might be wrong???

//Andre 17 Swe
Order is for idiots
We geniuses can also control chaos

NubbYes-StupidNo
New Cone
New Cone

Sorry

Postby NubbYes-StupidNo » 17 Jun 2007 22:48

Sorry It worked out after a little patiens*

//André
Order is for idiots
We geniuses can also control chaos

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: I can´t fix !it

Postby ipkiss » 25 Jun 2007 08:52

Hello!
I have tried to go in too the setting and changed the "dropdownlist" to skin able interface.... But I can´t start the ones I really wanted like WMP11.vlt or neon.vlt I am able to chose some other but not these ones at lest...
Is there something wrong with them or what´s/might be wrong???
Your version of VLC might be too old for these skins. Try using a nightly build.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Re: Changing skin

Postby 3breadt » 27 Jun 2007 12:28

Did you put the VLT files into the skins folder in your VLC installation directory?
Also you can try loading the skin file by pressing Ctrl+S and then choosing the downloaded VLT file.

If they are not displayed properly make sure you use the latest version of VLC (currently 0.8.6c)
If that didn't help it, try a nightly build from http://nightlies.videolan.org
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

deimosh
New Cone
New Cone

Re:

Postby deimosh » 01 Aug 2007 16:38

There are several ways to start the skins2 interface:
- start 'vlc -I skins2' (change the shortcuts, and file associations)
- use the 'Settings --> Switch interface' option in the menu

Once you have the skins2 interface, use the Ctrl-S shortcut (or the popup menu) to load another skin that you have downloaded on the website.

And next time, search the forums before asking...
He, I just downloaded the wmp11 skin, but it doesnt work... And I don't understand any of you possibilities to change the skin. Sorry to bother, but you explanation isn't clear for me...

Could you explain me how to load a downloaded skin automaticlly step by step?

Thanks in advance.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 01 Aug 2007 20:31

It should be easy to change skins. Once you've started the skins interface, default (black and white skin), right-click anywhere on the skin and go to "Change skin". As long as the skin .vlt file is in the skins folder it should appear i the drop-list.

Helpneeded
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Helpneeded » 02 Sep 2007 02:21

Hi, I was hoping that someone could help me. I'm running Ubuntu Studio and would like to skin it, sadly I cn't seem to make vlc find new skins. I have created a directory where I should be placing skins, and it does nothing. After file searching I found a different location for skins at "/usr/share/vlc/skins2" but can't copy files to there as its write protected. Can anyone tell me which location is right, and how to solve this?

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 02 Sep 2007 14:24

try ~/.vlc/skins2

hingis
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby hingis » 18 Sep 2007 10:06

Thanks,it works..

CobrA_4cS
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CobrA_4cS » 24 Nov 2007 18:14

I like this version :|
[size=0]Image[/size]

lildjrich
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lildjrich » 17 Feb 2008 16:03

The easiest way i find to change the Default Skin is the following:

Load up VLC
Click Settings, then click Preferences.
Select Interface from the left menu.
Then select Main Interfaces from the left menu.
In the content side (the right side) where it says Interface Module, in the drop down menu select Skinnable Interface.
On the left side, press the Plus sign next to Main Interfaces. If it is a Minus sign then leave it.
Click on Skins down the left column
In the content side (the right side), check the check box next to Advanced options.
In the box where it says Skin to use, put in: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\skins\SKIN NAME.vlt
Change the 'SKIN NAME' to your skin name.

If you have VLC in a different location other than C:\Program Files\VideoLAN, you must change it to VLCLOCATION\VLC\skins\SKIN NAME.vlt
Make sure you restart VLC after Saving the Settings!!

Hope this helps you all 8)

Return to “Skins”