QT4 interface/Skins2

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

QT4 interface/Skins2

Postby CloudStalker » 02 Mar 2007 20:45

The QT4 interface is working allot better then the wxWidgets interface that you guys were using in previous versions (looks quite a bit better too). I just wanted to know if the “skins2” interface (with skins that are updated to v0.9.0) will be able to work similar to the QT4 interface, like: drag-and-drop items in playlist, embed playlist into interface, album art, ect, basically all the same things the QT4 interface has but with a different visual style. The “wxWidgets” and “skins2” interface don’t have the same functionality in the previous versions of VLC and I was wondering if this had changed.

Am I going overboard with posting “Feature requests” (just looked at the last couple of pages)? :oops: Oh I almost forgot: VLC media player 0.9.0 is going to be the best! :P
Last edited by CloudStalker on 02 Mar 2007 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 02 Mar 2007 20:52

I did it again! :evil: Can someone please move this to the “Feature requests” topic and delete it from here? Sorry. :P

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Mar 2007 21:22

I will not move it :D Because it can be here too. But the answer is yes, skins2 will use Qt4 for menus and extra dialosgs.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Asim
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Asim » 03 Mar 2007 00:40

umm... skins2 already has drag and drop...

- Asim

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 03 Mar 2007 01:15

Thanks for answering my question j-b. Well… you didn’t answer the last one, but that’s ok, really it is. :)
umm... skins2 already has drag and drop...
Well when using the skins2 interface in VLC v0.8.6a I couldn’t drag-and-drop items in the playlist like I could in the wxWidgets interface, they all seemed to be locked in, and that’s reason one why I switched back to the former. But after using the QT4 interface, I’m much more satisfied with it, especially now since "skins2" can use it. There are a couple of problems with it though, but I’ll wait to comment on these since this project is still under development. Thanks again everyone. :wink:

Asim

Postby Asim » 03 Mar 2007 03:16

are u sure? because as far as my Blissta skin is concerned... i can easily drag and drop (using 0.8.6a)...

the skin designer has to implement drag and drop in their design to enable it on skins2....

- Asim

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 03 Mar 2007 03:52

It doesn’t matter now, I’ve moved on to bigger and better things. :) And I was having troubles with some of the skins anyway: Blissta, WMP11, Askin and a few others, because whenever I delete a file from the playlist it results in the player locking up altogether; reason number two why I switched back to wxWidgets (QT4 interface now).

Nobody else seemed to have this problem from what they’ve reported back to me, so it’s probably just some sort of strange Phenomenon that occurs only on my computer. :?

Asim

Postby Asim » 03 Mar 2007 07:57

as far as deleting from playlist is concerned...

im pretty sure u deleted the first file in the playlist? if so... then yes... it locks up...

- Asim

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 03 Mar 2007 08:56

Actually it’s any file that I delete in the playlist, doesn’t matter if it’s the first, the last or all of them at once; even the minus button kills it. But like I said, it’s no big deal. I’ll just wait until VLC 0.9.0 is officially released and skin designer update to the new interface. 8)

I forgot you made the “Blissta” skin, which was one of my favorites until I started having this problem with the playlist. Hopefully when, if, you decide to update it after VLC v0.9.0 is officially released, I will finally be able to use it again (enhanced). :shock:

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 03 Mar 2007 20:08

are u sure? because as far as my Blissta skin is concerned... i can easily drag and drop (using 0.8.6a)...

the skin designer has to implement drag and drop in their design to enable it on skins2....
You are not talking about the same kind of drag & drop. The one enabled by the skin designer is the drag and drop of files on to the skin. The one CloudStalker wants is the ability to move items in the playlist freely. This is currently not possible, and may not be possible in VLC 0.9.0 either. However, it is possible for a skin to use the playlist of the QT (or wxwidgets) interface instead of using a skinned playlist, if needed.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 03 Mar 2007 20:21

The one CloudStalker wants is the ability to move items in the playlist freely. This is currently not possible, and may not be possible in VLC 0.9.0 either.
Alright so let me get this straight, skin designers may not be able to create a skinned playlist (embedded or otherwise) that works exactly like the QT4 interface, instead the skin will have to switch back to the QT4 interface temporarily to access the playlist, is that right? Because I was getting the impression that they could make whatever sort of design they wanted for a playlist and it would work around this newer interface, isn’t that what j-b was saying? Please clarify for my understanding, Thanks.

stanabe
New Cone
New Cone

Can't drag and drop on Fedora either...

Postby stanabe » 14 Mar 2007 01:39

Well when using the skins2 interface in VLC v0.8.6a I couldn’t drag-and-drop items in the playlist like I could in the wxWidgets interface
I have exactly the same problem on Fedora Core 6 (GNOME). I can drag and drop in wxWidgets but I can't do it in "Skins 2".

Plus, the system tray icon disappears when changed to the Skins2 interface.

My VLC version is 0.8.6a.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 14 Mar 2007 02:32

Well at least skins will work better under the QT4 interface for VLC v0.9.0, so I hear. There are a couple of other problems with drag-and-drop, like sometime instead of dragging a song to a different location it just copies it there, which, when played, could result in the player crashing.

The other problem is that you have to move the mouse closer to the top of an item when selecting it, or else it will select the item directly under it which results in accidentally deleting the wrong file. Would these be considered bugs?

As for the system tray icon, enable it in the preferences menu: Preferences > Interface > Main interfaces > skins, “Systray icon”.

stanabe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stanabe » 14 Mar 2007 02:41

As for the system tray icon, enable it in the preferences menu: Preferences > Interface > Main interfaces > skins, “Systray icon”.
Yes, I enabled "systray icon", and it disappears when I choose the Skins2 interface. The systray icon works just fine with wxWidgets.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 14 Mar 2007 02:53

Hmm…I just tried it, and it seems to work fine here. If you want you could try deleting the “vlc” preferences folder: C:/Documents and Settings/User (you)/Application Data (This is hidden, make it visible)/vlc. Delete the “vlc” folder.

Start up VLC and re-enable all you’re previous settings and make sure to select “Skins” under the “Main interfaces”, since the one in wxWidgets is separate.

stanabe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stanabe » 14 Mar 2007 03:06

CloudStalker,

Well, I think I'll wait for the bug-fixed version of VLC put in the Fedora repo because even if I could successfully enable the system tray icon in VLC 0.8.6a, I still wouldn't be able to use drag and drop in Skins2...

Thanks for the comment though.

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 14 Mar 2007 20:13

I think the skins2 systray icon is only implemented on Windows, at the moment.

Return to “Skins”