No audio via HDMI capture

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
CooledSpirit
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.01
Operating System: Win7

No audio via HDMI capture

Postby CooledSpirit » 29 Mar 2012 12:14

Hi,

I'm trying to stream capture video via my Avermedia H727 HDMI capture card. I can see video on the VLC player, no problem, but I can't hear any audio. I'm assuming the audio is actually there, but must be decoded first somewhere or split from the HDMI data and rerouted to my pc's audio device. Unfortunately, I don't know what my options/possibilities are or how I should approach this. Can anybody help me ?

Please forgive this newbee question, I searched for H727, HDMI, audio pass through, and more... but only found information on how to send audio to the HDMI output, which is not what I need, it should be taken from the HDMI content and then sent to the SPDIF of my onboard audio card.

And another question: suppose I get streaming working, I'm assuming the audio will be in the stream already without me having to set anything special ?

Many thanks in advance !

CS.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: No audio via HDMI capture

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 29 Mar 2012 13:23

There is currently no support for S/PDIF input in VLC, that I know of. At least, neither the DirectShow nor ALSA plugins seem to support anything like that.

Except for that, in theory, the S/PDIF signal could be routed from input to output without decoding/re-encoding.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

CooledSpirit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CooledSpirit » 29 Mar 2012 13:50

I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear enough. I don't need S/PDIF input, I want audio from a HDMI capture source "ouputted" to SPDIF.
I'm starting from real-time captured HDMI and want to stream that real-time video and audio over my home network.
Looking at VLC, I see the video, but I'm not hearing any audio. So I'm figuring I need to do something to make that audio heard ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 29 Mar 2012 14:43

You need to select the audio input as well as the video one.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

CooledSpirit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CooledSpirit » 29 Mar 2012 20:26

If only it were this simple... Unless I misunderstood you in some way about selecting the audio input, I can only select as audio input device : "standard", "none" and "FrontMic Realtek". The Frontmic is obviously not what I need. I was hoping I could select the HDMI capture device, but alas, it's not in the audio devices drop down list. It's set to "standard". Going to the windows audio devices, I can't see the HDMI capture tool as audio device neither, so I'm assuming that VLC is performing correctly by not showing the capture card as audio input device.

But isn't the audio stream already embedded in the captured HDMI data stream ? Isn't there some plugin or something else that is capable of splitting this up ? Or am I missing something ?

Just to make sure I do this the right way: I selected "open capture device". Under the DirectShow (the other options are TV and desktop) I can select the capture device for video (I can select the AverMedia capture port) and audio (selection as indicated above).

Many thanks in advance for trying to help me out.

CooledSpirit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CooledSpirit » 30 Mar 2012 10:38

I used another software, and there I could select "audio from HDMI" as audio input source,which resulted in what I wanted. Does something similar exists in vlc and if yes, how can I make it appear in my dropdown list for audio input ?

Many thanks in advance !

K4i
New Cone
New Cone

Postby K4i » 02 Apr 2012 20:10

1. This is a DirectShow related VLC issue, AFAIK it belongs in the Windows troubleshooting forum (not this general one).

2. You can most likely use this free software to capture from the Avermedia card and relay to VLC: http://www.amarectv.com/english/amarectv_e.htm . I tested it with my C027 and it works great.

3. I am going to make a post in the feature request forum in a few minutes for Directshow support for Avermedia cards

CooledSpirit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CooledSpirit » 03 Apr 2012 15:22

Many thanks for making this feature request !

Ultrapower
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ultrapower » 18 Apr 2013 10:26

1. This is a DirectShow related VLC issue, AFAIK it belongs in the Windows troubleshooting forum (not this general one).

2. You can most likely use this free software to capture from the Avermedia card and relay to VLC: http://www.amarectv.com/english/amarectv_e.htm . I tested it with my C027 and it works great.

3. I am going to make a post in the feature request forum in a few minutes for Directshow support for Avermedia cards
Since today (2.0.6) there is no support for HDMI AUDIO capture for Avermedia cards in latest VLC :?

Capture with dshow: HDMI picture no problem so far, but not Audio !

Please help ...

Emanceen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Emanceen » 19 Apr 2013 07:19

hello,

seems similar to the EZ grabber issue where the audio analog input from a USB stick is not available...
will give a try to your AmaRecTV SW ASAP

thanks,
Olivier

Emanceen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Emanceen » 19 Apr 2013 10:48

I've installed and setup successfully the Amarectv and I'm very happy with it, setup is straightforward, it remembers all settings...

nice picture, sound is there and even able to record in 16/9 from analog sources 8)
a pity VLC couldn't do the same (yet?)

many thanks for the hint k4i :mrgreen:

Olivier

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”