VLC 2.0.0 Twoflower Crashes

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
perzaklie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC 2.0.0 Twoflower Crashes

Postby perzaklie » 12 Mar 2012 21:46

I just upgraded and VLC crashes everytime I try to play a dvd. Screen shot. Windows XPPro SP3 current updates. Image.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: VLC 2.0.0 Twoflower Crashes

Postby VLC_help » 13 Mar 2012 15:47

Happens with all DVD movies?

perzaklie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby perzaklie » 13 Mar 2012 19:21

Yes, every one. Then I get a crash report option, I click YES to send crash report and VLC restarts. If the DVD is a straight DVD, that is, no on screen menu selections, sometimes it will go ahead and play when it re-starts after the crash report. If it is a full DVD with on screen navigation, it crashes again the second time and will never play. I tried Windows Media Player, Real Player, Media Player Classic and they all work without a glitch. VLC has ALWAYS worked perfectly for me. I have used it since the beginning and this is the first time I have ever had a problem of any kind. I uninstalled VLC and re-installed it twice. Same problem.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 14 Mar 2012 23:04

Did you try to reset VLC settings by removing %appdata%\vlc folder?

perzaklie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby perzaklie » 15 Mar 2012 00:12

I had not previously, but I just did and it still crashes with same error message. I have un-installed and reinstalled VLC 4 times now. I use ccleaner to uninstall.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 15 Mar 2012 16:07

All VLC playback related settings are stored to %appdata%\vlc, so removing it is enough if the issue is settings related. ccleaner or reinstall doesn't do anything special in this situation.

Does No DVD menus option make the playback work any better?

perzaklie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby perzaklie » 15 Mar 2012 20:34

No. It will not play. I am very puzzled as I stated earlier, I have used VLC for a long time, all the way back to 2007 and version 0.8.6a, and I have never, ever had the first problem of any kind. I have recommended VLC to many, many people, all with similar experiences. Perfect. I have two DVD drives in my desktop. I have tried both drives. Same error. I have formatted my drive and re-installed Windows. Same error. I am going to try uninstalling 2.0.0 and installing an older version. If that doesn't help, I will give up. I appreciate all your efforts as well. Thanks!

perzaklie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby perzaklie » 15 Mar 2012 20:47

I just uninstalled 2.0.0 and installed 1.1.7 The Luggage. I get no error message, VLC just closes immediately when I click on a selected menu item. When I re-start VLC, I get a message that VLC has crashed and asks if I want to send a bug report to the developer team. I select Yes and it restarts but will not play the DVD, it simply closes immediately without warning or error message when I click on a menu item. I though maybe it was the DVD but since Real, Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player play it without problems, I guess the DVD is not the problem. I will have to switch over to Real or one of the Media Players.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”