Reading LogFiles.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
abrogard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Reading LogFiles.

Postby abrogard » 11 Jan 2012 22:26

Is there some help with reading the VLC log file?

Not at a high programmer level but at a user level eliciting information that will help the ordinary user understand a problem, fixable or not, with files being sent to VLC.

I have .asf files produced by webcam software.

Sometimes they work alright in VLC and sometimes it reports an error and will not open them.

I find the only way I can get the log file to work is to 'add debug logging' in 'add interface' and then it will write a log file. And I have to do this with each instance of VLC, i.e., every time I open it.

I can't find how to get it to 'close' a file, either. Whether that matters or not. I open VLC and it's 'empty', so to speak, has no file to work on. I give it a file and then want to stop it - because I am trying to create a number of log entries and compare them for files that work and files that won't work. So I can pause it but it still remains there on the screen Then I can open another file and so on. But nowhere can I 'close' the existing file so's the prog goes back to it's original state when I opened it up.

Maybe this doesn't matter. Just thought I'd mention it.

Mainly the logs.

One way or other I get them created and I find errors mentioned even in entries for files that VLC has apparently worked with happily. I need to understand the logs a bit better. Need to know what sort of things to look for. Need to know what a set of entries refers to.

And some of these .asf files are reported of the wrong length. Many of the large ones are. I'd like to see an area of the log file that relates to this if I could.

Is there anything I could access that would help with all this?

regards,

ab

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Reading LogFiles.

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Jan 2012 00:42

Why not using the Messages dialog with verbosity set to 2?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”