VLC won't play my blu rays

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
kvlc0588
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC won't play my blu rays

Postby kvlc0588 » 14 Apr 2012 16:06

I am new to this forum and have followed all the instructions so far with much the same results as the people above.
I get the following error message

Blu-Ray error:
This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///F:/'. Check the log for details.

Any help how to get passed this would be great
Thanks

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 15 Apr 2012 11:44

kdnewton
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kdnewton » 02 May 2012 18:49

Still not working for you?

Are you using Windows Vista/7 64bit? I am and I got it to work.

Try using the Win32 libaacs.dll on http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

Seriously. Worked for me. No restart required. Do the %appdata%/aacs/KEYDB.cfg thing. Close VLC. Drop in the 32bit libaacs.dll into the VideoLAN/VLC/ directory. Start VLC. Open Media>Disc>BluRay>Play.

cjmccarthy72
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cjmccarthy72 » 17 May 2012 22:44

I am a complete novice- how do you create a cfg file??- is it just saving the webpage you have listed as a textfile. I have tried that and the 32 bit O/S dll alternative solution and have progressed from errors which say "create an AACS library" to "missing keys"- LOL

EnigmaV8
New Cone
New Cone

THE FIX!!!

Postby EnigmaV8 » 18 May 2012 05:14

I'm about to make everyone's day...

There's a subtle note about this "experimental" AACS decoder library. It currently does not support titles. This simply means that, after you installed the two files to the proper locations mentioned at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name, when you pick your drive to play of course pick the Bluray option but also BE SURE to check the "No disc menus" option. The Blu-ray will now play properly but it will default to Title 0 or the another main Title. Within VLC simply right-click --> Playback --> Title and pick the largest length Title since that is most likely the main movie. The other Titles will be the disc extras, previews, etc.

ace2020boyd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ace2020boyd » 23 May 2012 08:25

yeah this just doesn't work. ive tried everything

Running Win 7 64bit

i placed the keys C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\aacs

placed the AACS dynamic library here C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC

launch vlc open disk-->Blu Ray--->no menus--->Play and

Blu-Ray error:
This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.

EnigmaV8
New Cone
New Cone

Postby EnigmaV8 » 23 May 2012 15:45

yeah this just doesn't work. ive tried everything

Running Win 7 64bit

i placed the keys C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\aacs

placed the AACS dynamic library here C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC

launch vlc open disk-->Blu Ray--->no menus--->Play and

Blu-Ray error:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.
Yeah, you did it perfectly. Sounds like your BD has a newer security this current library can't decode. What movie is this? Have you tried some other ones?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 May 2012 16:06

You are screwed, sorry :)

This disc needs BD+ and so far, this is not readable in any simple way... Use AnyDVD HD or something else to remove the protection.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ace2020boyd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ace2020boyd » 23 May 2012 19:59

So far ive started testing some of my discs.

the first movie i used was Alien didnt work. Then i thought why not try the first blu ray i got which was The Omega Man that film worked! Then i tried another film To Kill A Mockingbird ( which is fairly new) worked! Ill see if AnyDVD will remove the protection to see if that works.

Edit: So far ive tried Alien with the AnyDVD and the movie will start playing but very very slowly and skippy

ShanePresley
New Cone
New Cone

Re: THE FIX!!!

Postby ShanePresley » 27 May 2012 00:50

I'm about to make everyone's day...

There's a subtle note about this "experimental" AACS decoder library. It currently does not support titles. This simply means that, after you installed the two files to the proper locations mentioned at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name, when you pick your drive to play of course pick the Bluray option but also BE SURE to check the "No disc menus" option. The Blu-ray will now play properly but it will default to Title 0 or the another main Title. Within VLC simply right-click --> Playback --> Title and pick the largest length Title since that is most likely the main movie. The other Titles will be the disc extras, previews, etc.
Followed all of the steps, Win7-64 w/32-bit dll. The "No disc menus" finally did it. Playback is choppy and I noticed another VLC window was launched in the background with what appears to be extra features. It doesn't seem to interfere with playback except maybe stealing cycles and causing contention on the disc reading. Audio is from the main title. If I close the secondary window it also closes the primary. The disc is 'Role Models'.

Flanter
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.0
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: THE FIX!!!

Postby Flanter » 27 May 2012 15:40

Playback is choppy
Yes, I have noticed that too: approx. once a minute there was a small glitch on the Disney's "Bolt" movie. May be I should have play with settings, i.e. hardware decoding or something like that? VLC was installed on the clean machine and no settings were changed. The protection has been removed by AnyDVD HD.

BVKnight
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BVKnight » 02 Jun 2012 03:50

I finally got it to work!

Like a lot of people here, I followed all the instructions to the letter, but nothing was working. I am on Windows 7 64-bit. I realized after that one person's post that I had installed the 32-bit version of VLC, since it was in the Program Files (x86) directory, so I downloaded the 32-bit dll to try again, but with no luck.

So then I went to the VLC site and downloaded the experiment 64-bit version of VLC (you have to do a little searching), and it installed to the Program Files directory. I downloaded the 64-bit dll and put it in the Program Files/VideoLan/VLC folder, launched vlc from that folder, opened the blu-ray with the "blu ray" option, checked the "No Titles" box, and it worked!

I hope this helps someone else. Bottom line: Try the 64-bit version of VLC with the correct dll.

jjroller
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jjroller » 03 Jun 2012 14:51

Like a lot of people here, I followed all the instructions to the letter, but nothing was working. I am on Windows 7 64-bit. I realized after that one person's post that I had installed the 32-bit version of VLC, since it was in the Program Files (x86) directory, so I downloaded the 32-bit dll to try again, but with no luck.

So then I went to the VLC site and downloaded the experiment 64-bit version of VLC (you have to do a little searching), and it installed to the Program Files directory. I downloaded the 64-bit dll and put it in the Program Files/VideoLan/VLC folder, launched vlc from that folder, opened the blu-ray with the "blu ray" option, checked the "No Titles" box, and it worked!

I hope this helps someone else. Bottom line: Try the 64-bit version of VLC with the correct dll.
This has worked for me, thank you!

Windows 7, 64bit
VLC experimental version for Windows 64bit http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

From here http://vlc-aacs.whoknowsmy.name/ the KEYDB.cfg file. I put that file in the folder C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\aacs
where the ***** is your username.
The "aacs" folder didn't exist before, I created it there and copied the file inside.

Again from here http://vlc-aacs.whoknowsmy.name/ the AACS dynamic library for Windows 64bit.
I copied that file in here C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC

Launched VLC, open Disc, "no menu in the disc", playback.
It works.
Thank you everybody for your help, and thank to BVKnight for suggesting to download the experimental 64bit version of VLC!

joconnorca
New Cone
New Cone

Postby joconnorca » 10 Jun 2012 19:11

FINALLY got mine to play as well....experimental 64 bit was the ticket! I'd still love the menu's but hey...I love my VLC!!! always been there for me!

and way to access the disc menu though?

last post had all the right steps! THANK YOU!!!

electronicsguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby electronicsguy » 19 Jun 2012 11:14

Confirmed!! This really is the fix for playing encrypted bluray in win 7 64-bit. (with vlc 32-bit, I used to get the same error as above: "missing keys?")

I played John Carter (US) bluray today without any problems. (the skipping forward is a bit jerky but playback itself is smooth).

vlc maintainers: thanks for the great work. please mention this workaround on your website windows section for others.

vlnovice
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlnovice » 20 Jun 2012 07:52

Here is what I did. Got a bluray laptop ide drive off ebay. Already had the enclosure at home to make it usb. Googled the errors and found this. Did everything you all said and nothing worked. Then 2 post above me as"jjroller" said did all that and finally worked. Except I had to say no to the menus like jj said. I have both 32 and 64 bit (I guess windows doesn't mind installing both and both work and open side by side) But was neither was working untill I said no to the menus. Same roaming folder problem and everything else. Just disabled the menus and now I can play blu rays. This is version 2.0.1

Its kinda funny though with 2.0.0. and just the 2 files keys and libaacs it was playing the m2ts movie file straight from my disc and now its not in both 32 and 64 bit.

Anyhow now I play bluray with vlc. But the problem is it is way too choppy. I have a samsung np-rv515 a01us with amd e350 1.6ghz and 8gb of ram and amd radeon hd6310. I added 4 later it didn't come with 8gb. But it was a samsung ram chip. And no ram errors with memtest or windows. Might not be good enough for playback. But the 30 days corel win dvd pro 11 trail I downloaded plays smoothly no issues. Verry little sputtering as you can hardly see it. Play sovery smoothly and not choppy at all. I was so shocked. And on another site (I forget which one) a guy said he plays blu rays with even less specs and smooth.

I could use corel but after 30 days I don't feel like paying 50 dollars and would rather use vlc for free if I can. Even "da player" is free but also choppy.

So what am I doing wrong??

Thanks.

vlnovice
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlnovice » 21 Jun 2012 05:53

Never mind I found the answer.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2143569/VlcLibva.png

Ticking gpu acceleration worked and now its smooth as hell.

kenanyigiter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kenanyigiter » 23 Jun 2012 05:36

Wowww, this worked. Thanks alot. I'm impressed and that doesn't happen often. Win 7 64-bit.

Regards,
Kenan

--------------------

WhatsAMatterYou
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby WhatsAMatterYou » 23 Jun 2012 20:07

Thank you for the post (and to all others as well).

This DID work, though with stuttering playback at more than a few points on some Titles, until we tried to view "Chronicle", at which point VLC is throwing errors as follows:
"Blu-Ray error:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.
Blu-Ray error:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details."

and

"Blu-Ray error:
Path doesn't appear to be a bluray
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.
Blu-Ray error:
Path doesn't appear to be a bluray"

Unfortunately, I do not have access to another: BD windows player (trial to the hugely bloated WinDVD expired), dedicated BD player, or BD, for testing to see if this is limited to this disc.

I did reinstall the 64-bit experimental version, and the two files, as specified, all to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

[ edit: 2) Tried another BD, and so far, all seems ok, again!
Perhaps if the BD is defective, or can't be decoded for some reason, VLC throws the
"This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it."
and
"Path doesn't appear to be a bluray" Errors?
1) typo]

Larebear
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Larebear » 25 Jun 2012 08:41

Wow, you're a genius. That worked for me too. Thanks so much. I've been trying to fix this problem for hours.

Flanter
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.0
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby Flanter » 25 Jun 2012 08:52

As far as I understand, BD+ is another Blu-ray protection scheme and VLC cannot play such discs. For now VLC can play AACS protected discs only. So for BD+ discs you have to use either WinDVD/PowerDVD/etc players or AnyDVD HD protection remover. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Jun 2012 11:59

You are right.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

WhatsAMatterYou
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby WhatsAMatterYou » 25 Jun 2012 14:28

As far as I understand, BD+ is another Blu-ray protection scheme and VLC cannot play such discs. For now VLC can play AACS protected discs only. So for BD+ discs you have to use either WinDVD/PowerDVD/etc players or AnyDVD HD protection remover. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Ah, ok (well, not so ok, but ok..). I thought the errors in the attempt to play the the referenced title "Chronicle" were the same as those previous to installing the two specified files, along with the 64-bit experimental version, hence the surprise, and uncertainty as what was up. Thanks for the explanation. *The problem Title might well be weak, or worse, anyway.... (sour grapes, anyone...?).

witchypoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby witchypoo » 26 Jun 2012 19:14

Thanks for all the info so far. Have been having trouble however understanding which file is needed from the list that opens up in the link you gave:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

I was trying to download it onto a machine that currently has no VLC versions on it. If I go to 64bit experimental it opens a list of public files, when clicked on some of them are text files, others request to download - there's a zip file and an .exe file for example, I tried downloading the zip but once extracted I can just open VLC direct from the extracted folder, there is no install or setup phase. There is no VideoLAN folder in my program files (x86) folder either so I cannot put the .dll in there.

Just went through the problems already outlined by all you other folks with my husband's laptop, got so far as realizing he needs the 64bit version for it to work, he downloaded the .exe from that public file and in his case it didn't fix the blu-ray error, hence trying on my laptop with the zip folder to see if a clean install worked..

I would appreciate advice!

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 27 Jun 2012 05:00

I was trying to download it onto a machine that currently has no VLC versions on it. If I go to 64bit experimental it opens a list of public files, when clicked on some of them are text files, others request to download - there's a zip file and an .exe file for example, I tried downloading the zip but once extracted I can just open VLC direct from the extracted folder, there is no install or setup phase. There is no VideoLAN folder in my program files (x86) folder either so I cannot put the .dll in there.
If you want to install the 64-bit version download vlc-2.0.1-win64.exe. If you just want to run it from a directory/folder download vlc-2.0.1-win64.zip (or the *.7z version). You'll need to extract the contents of the *.zip to a folder first, then run vlc.exe.
Just went through the problems already outlined by all you other folks with my husband's laptop, got so far as realizing he needs the 64bit version for it to work, he downloaded the .exe from that public file and in his case it didn't fix the blu-ray error, hence trying on my laptop with the zip folder to see if a clean install worked..
If you just want to test out a Win64 version download the *.zip version and extract to a folder. Download the 64-bit version of libaacs.dll found here and place it in the folder where you extract the *.zip (where vlc.exe is). Place the KEYDB.cfg file in %APPDATA%\aacs, run vlc.exe and try a Blu-ray disc.

If it still doesn't work then try a nightly build of VLC:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

You'll have to put libaacs.dll in the folder containing vlc.exe again.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”