v1.2.0 Pre-Re still cannot open DVD folders: Media>Open Disc

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
c627627
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

v1.2.0 Pre-Re still cannot open DVD folders: Media>Open Disc

Postby c627627 » 30 Dec 2011 07:16

Jean-Baptiste Kempf confirmed this bug 6 months ago here but still no fix on the eve of v1.2.0 release.:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90994

Not only should it open DVD folders like v1.1.9 can [Both 1.1.10 and 1.1.11 cannot] but there should be an option to enable it to keep history of opened folders so that when you use the drop down arrow you can quickly re-open the last few folders.

Media > Open Disc should always go to the last opened folder even if the program is restarted. There should be an option for this.

As a Bonus, being able to PASTE the location of folders would be extremely helpful under Media > Open Folder because we naturally go there to try to paste the location then find out the hard way we cannot PASTE anything there then we go to Media > Open Disc, and then only v1.1.9 can open them.

Both locations should have the option to PASTE the location of the folder to be opened and both should be able to open it. I am still on v1.1.9 because the followup versions broke this and there was no fix to this day. Please consider fixing this before releasing v1.2.0 Final.

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: v1.2.0 Pre-Re still cannot open DVD folders: Media>Open

Postby solazy » 30 Dec 2011 13:36

Hello c627627,

I haven't tested pre-version 1.2.0 but this looks very annoying, because I have one of the issue that you described.
In the forum, I stopped asking for Vlc to remember correctly the paths of what has been opened because (imho) it will never be fixed correctly (due to the many menu places where you can open this or that)

When this feature works fine in (nearly) all other software, it doesn't work correctly in Vlc, don't ask me why.
Now before a Mod answers me "if you don't like it, don't use it", I will answer this : I like Vlc (a lot) and I will keep on using it till the end of time, even if noone is able to fix the issue of remembering correctly the paths used in all menu options.

I suggested once (many months ago) to add a variable in Vlc config. file to make a distinction between different openings (now I don't remember the exact words as it's been a long time ago) and a Mod answered in the Forum that it was possible to do this.

Just found the link where I mentioned the path issue (january 2011)
The topic is named : "Open folder always forgets..."
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=86250#p285882

Happy new year to all of you :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Dec 2011 17:11

Seriously... Why do you write lengthy posts on this forum and not a bug on the bug tracker with logs?
This blabla is next to useless...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

solazy

Postby solazy » 30 Dec 2011 17:38

I felt j-b would answer this kind way...

j-b, you don't like lengthy posts ?
So please delete my precedent post and do what you want with c627627's post.
Close our accounts, ban us or do what you please, I don't care if this path issue isn't resolved until 2099
In fact I shouldn't even have answered c627627, because I knew it was worthless to discuss about this unresolved path issue anymore.

Now if "this blabla is next to useless...", then your rudeness in many posts is totally useless
Not everyone can be as polite as Vlc_help

c627627
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby c627627 » 30 Dec 2011 18:17

v1.1.9 can do this so the option is to never upgrade. Customers are always looking for new software. This would help them choose VLC, I think that's the only important thing.

Pasting folder locations is important for super-fast computing because of right click Copy Path to Clipboard programs. No matter where you browse you right click on the DVD folder > Open VLC 1.1.9 > and paste the location to open. This is a two second operation which takes considerably longer now that it is broken. Happy New Year!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 31 Dec 2011 03:59

j-b, you don't like lengthy posts ?
No, I don't.

Lengthy posts take time to read, and nobody really understands what you mean and what your point it, in the middle of rants against an old version, rants against developers and so on. And agressivity...
And you refuse to add bugreport on the proper tool. Therefore, this is gets forgotten.

Be straightforward, explain your problem clearly, and if there is a bug, trac it.

Anyway, I think I fixed if for next nightly build.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

solazy

Postby solazy » 31 Dec 2011 13:06

Anyway, I think I fixed if for next nightly build.
Nice end of year gift, thanks a lot j-b !
Have a great year 2012 :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Jan 2012 00:52

Same to you.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”