Add to media player?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
LonesomeDrifter
New Cone
New Cone

Add to media player?

Postby LonesomeDrifter » 30 Apr 2011 17:18

Hi,

Newbie here. I've installed the very latest VLC player after someone recommended it to me but i'm having real trouble finding and adding my music to it's library.

1. Does it have a library?
2. If so, where is it?
3. How do I add my music (which is all on an external hard drive) to it?

Many thanks.

LonesomeDrifter
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Add to media player?

Postby LonesomeDrifter » 30 Apr 2011 21:59

I guess that's a no then?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 May 2011 14:41

Don't bump your posts twice a day. It won't help at all.

Media library can be found from View -> Playlist

LonesomeDrifter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LonesomeDrifter » 01 May 2011 21:00

Hi,

I'm not sure what VLC version you have but I just downloaded the latest one 1.1.9 and it doesn't have playlist as an option. Not on mine anyway. I'm on windows 7 if this helps somewhat.

LonesomeDrifter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LonesomeDrifter » 02 May 2011 16:48

Anyone?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 May 2011 13:30

LonesomeDrifter : so View -> Playlist doesn't do anything?

LonesomeDrifter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LonesomeDrifter » 08 May 2011 10:44

Hi,

Yes, i have View/Playlist. What I'm trying to do is add all of my music directory into the VLC Media Library. The reason I cannot do it is because it seems the new VLC does not have the 'add' button to add a directory.

Does anyone know for definite that you can add a music directory in the very latest VLC (1.1.9) I'd rather someone actually install the latest version and try and do it rather than presume the new one is the same as the old one because it's not. It seems you cannot add a directory anymore. If you can then I'd love to know how.

Thanks.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 08 May 2011 17:13

Just right click blank area of playlist, and then select Add folder...

LonesomeDrifter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LonesomeDrifter » 08 May 2011 21:10

Ah that's better. Thanks. I'm sure it should be easier than that but never mind.

One final question, my music folder is on an external drive, is there a way of VLC media player automatically updating it's library when I add new music to my folder?

Thanks.

LonesomeDrifter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LonesomeDrifter » 08 May 2011 21:22

Ok, forget what I put below, i've tried twice now (two reboots as well) and it's not doing anything. I just get 'VLC media player(not responding)' in the top left hand corner. Nothing is showing me if my music is being added to the library or not, there's no indication whatsoever.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 May 2011 13:50

One final question, my music folder is on an external drive, is there a way of VLC media player automatically updating it's library when I add new music to my folder?
VLC 1.2.0 should have folder watch option.
Ok, forget what I put below, i've tried twice now (two reboots as well) and it's not doing anything. I just get 'VLC media player(not responding)' in the top left hand corner. Nothing is showing me if my music is being added to the library or not, there's no indication whatsoever.
How many files you try to add?

babyrock
New Cone
New Cone

Postby babyrock » 30 Jul 2011 06:30

After hours of visiting faq's, forums, and how too's to no avail, I figured out how to permanently add 2TB of media to vlc's library/playlist all at once in minutes instead of the dreaded one folder at a time. Im surprised this info is not already easily available!!
1st: You need to make another folder in your media area that you will add to vlc. Call it what ever you want (e.g. Media-E). THIS IS THE KEY PART.
2nd: High lite all the media you want to add and drag and drop into this folder.
3rd: Open vlc and click on media library or playlist depending on where you want the media to go.
4th: IN THE RIGHT PLANE(right box of the window), right click and goto add folder.
5th: Select the folder you just made frome the location you made it in.
6th: Let it do its thing, I walked away for about a half hour to put kids to bed and it was done before I got back.

Works like a charm, but I do not know how to get media discovered automaticaly. Yet.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Jul 2011 17:27

Works like a charm, but I do not know how to get media discovered automaticaly. Yet.
If you mean automatic scans, that feature will come with VLC 1.2.0

babyrock
New Cone
New Cone

Postby babyrock » 31 Jul 2011 06:35

Thanks for the quick reply. That is good news about vlc 1.2.0. Do you happen to know how long it may take to get to that version? The trend looks like 9 more versions to go.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 31 Jul 2011 17:04

No release date is set.

obooker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby obooker » 01 Oct 2011 17:29

I, too, had the same question about refreshes of the media library. I'm looking forward to this improvement.
My work-around is to delete thew "old" folder that VLC has in its databank and re-add the folder. I do this every once in a while to "refresh" VLC's memory.
To do this, I open VLC, click on Media Library, right click on the folder that appears in the right-hand pane (in my case, it's My Music), and click "Remove Selected".
Then I just right click the empty space in the Right pane and select "Add Folder" and add "My Music".
By doing this, VLC reads the current My Music folder contents.
I know it's a pain to do this, but hey, VLC is still King over Windows Media Player, and hey, volunteers are managing this software. Let's not give 'em too hard a time!

lexvideo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lexvideo » 29 Dec 2011 04:50

[/quote]If you mean automatic scans, that feature will come with VLC 1.2.0[/quote]

I have 1.2, but I haven't been able to find what controls this automatic scan function. can you provide some guidance?

Harry

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 29 Dec 2011 16:00

It is part of new media library. But I ain't sure if there are any direct options for that in the GUI currently.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”