VLC Recording - When do Tell it is "On"?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jjb2010
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Recording - When do Tell it is "On"?

Postby jjb2010 » 25 Apr 2011 04:39

I've used VLC Record button with VERY mixed success. The problem is that it is not clear when I hit the red record button whether it is "on" or not. There is a lag between when I hit the button and it appears on my PC's folder but still . . . sometimes I have to hit several times and it will save a tiny clip and then finally -- like bagging a soda machine to get it to work -- it will start downloading the whole video (indicated by the increasing file size).

Do other people have this problem? How do I know when it is "on"? Often it will show a file with a small video but won't keep increasing (when I refresh the folder to see what is going on).

Thanks.

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: VLC Recording - When do Tell it is "On"?

Postby solazy » 25 Apr 2011 10:43

Hello jjb2010,
It's the Record button itself that should indicate you if the recording is "On" or not. I just made a try and :
1) When it's not recording, the square record button has a white background surrounding the red circle
2) When it's recording, then its background turns to grey, plus it appears "pressed in" (on my XP system)

Me too, while it is recording, I don't see the file in the recording folder, even if i refresh (F5) the folder several times. But as soon as I hit the record button a second time, to stop the recording, then the file appears correctly and the record button turns back to its initial non-recording state (white background, not pressed in)

Imho, there is no need to hit the record button several times or it will confuse you with many little recorded files : just one hit is enough to start recording and see carefully that the button background color has changed and the button is pressed in. Then only one other hit will stop the recording : on my computer, it's only at this very moment (stop recording) that the recorded file appears in the folder, not before.

Hope it helps :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”