Any way to have subtitles appear below the movie?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jakobkraft
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Any way to have subtitles appear below the movie?

Postby jakobkraft » 16 Jan 2011 03:51

I saw a couple of threads about this but there were several years old, so I figured this has probably been implemented by now, but I can't see where to make the change...? The Force Subtitle position option doesn't affect my subtitles at all, for some reason. I use external .srt files, btw.
Basically I just want subtitles to appear lower, in the black border of 16:9 movies (KMPlayer did this automatically somehow).
Any info would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Any way to have subtitles appear below the movie?

Postby VLC_help » 16 Jan 2011 14:50

so I figured this has probably been implemented by now
It hasn't been.

jakobkraft
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jakobkraft » 17 Jan 2011 11:13

Wow, kind of a dealbreaker there. Too bad, VLC had some advantages over KMP but nothing THAT significant as to sacrifice displaying subs below the video. Right away, you have this setup option when opening KMP for the first time: http://img842.imageshack.us/f/kmp1.jpg/

btw, in reading some of the older posts, there was this one user (possible vlc programmer?) who went on and on about how this feature would only be needed in 4x3 displays, and that those displays were not being manufactured anymore. This, I'm sure, is absolutely true, except I don't have 4x3 anything. My monitor is 16:9 and my TV is 16:10 and there are STILL black bars for many widescreen movies. It all depends on aspect ratio, of course.

A good example of almost no black bars is shown in Back to the Future, recent blu-ray edition. The aspect ratio here is 1:85:
http://img199.imageshack.us/f/subswith185ratio.jpg/

A good example of very evident black bars is shown in Serenity, also blu-ray. The aspect ratio here is 2:35:
http://img138.imageshack.us/f/subswith235ratio.jpg/

I hope this proves that black bars are NOT going away because of 16:9 or 16:10 displays. Any movie shot in 2:35 aspect ratio (true anamorphic, as the filmmakers like to say) is NOT going to fit perfectly on any HD display and therefore the ability to display subs in black bars will ALWAYS be an important feature.
I do hope vlc programmers finally implement this. If KMPlayer can do it so easily, why not vlc...?
Last edited by jakobkraft on 18 Jan 2011 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

titule
New Cone
New Cone

Postby titule » 18 Jan 2011 14:36

I want that feature too.
(But first, let's don't crash anymore)

frankne
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frankne » 22 Jan 2011 10:27

I would like to have this feature too.
Until it is implemented I will use KMPlayer!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”