DVD Casuses instant crash

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
lordsatan
New Cone
New Cone

DVD Casuses instant crash

Postby lordsatan » 06 Dec 2010 21:42

XP SP2

I've been using VLC 1.1.4 since it came out and it has been amazing.

avi/divx, mp3, DVD iso, DVD, mounted DVDs on virtual drives make up 99.9% of what I was playing...90% avi

...but I couldn't leave well enough alone and I had to upgrade to the current version, 1.1.5

All my avi/divx stuff were massively out of sync. I tried a few things from the forums that didn't work, decided that I wasted enough time and re-installed 1.1.4.

Everything worked perfectly as before except DVDs. Now I cannot play any format (DVD iso, DVD, mounted DVDs on virtual drives) without an instant crash....and I mean instant. There is no freezing or anything. The second I start a DVD, VLC disappears/crashes.

I tried checking "no dvd menus". VLC no longer crashes but I get this error when playing DVDs or mounted DVDs on virtual drives.

=========================
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvdsimple://X:\'. Check the log for details.
=========================

...where "X" is the drive letter

What did VLC 1.1.5 do to actually ruin my previous installation?

Where is the crash log? I've never had any prob with VLC until now...

thanx

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: DVD Casuses instant crash

Postby VLC_help » 07 Dec 2010 18:32

Crash log is useless in most cases. If you want to provide better debugging messages use gdb.

Message log might explain "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvdsimple://X:\'. Check the log for details." issue, so open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you try to open the disc.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”