2 versions of vlc

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
sam99
New Cone
New Cone

2 versions of vlc

Postby sam99 » 16 Nov 2010 12:55

Hi

I currently have vlc 1.1.0 installed on my laptop. Unfortunately, I've discovered that this version will not perform automatic screencapping like my previous version of vlc(0.8.4a) did. After searching around, the consensus seems to be that I would have to use a version of vlc below 1.0.0 to be able to do automatic screencapping. So can someone tell me if it is possible to have 2 different versions of vlc installed or would I have to uninstall my current version first?

windows 7(home premium 64bit)

Thanks for you response,

Sam

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: 2 versions of vlc

Postby VLC_help » 16 Nov 2010 15:30

You can have multiple VLC versions in your computer. Just install the one which you want to associate to file types and extract .zip/.7z package for those VLC versions you want to run manually.

sam99
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sam99 » 17 Nov 2010 11:21

Thanks for your reply VLC_help. However, I don’t quite understand the last part of your sentence. What exactly do you mean when you say “extract .zip/.7z package for those VLC versions you want to run manually”? Are you saying that there is a zipped file of the vlc version I need to download and if so, where would I find it? Also, when you say “run manually” do you mean something other than clicking on the vlc icon to start the program?

Sorry for the questions, I just want to make sure I take the right steps so that I avoid messing up my computer.

Thanks,

Sam

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 17 Nov 2010 15:59

Are you saying that there is a zipped file of the vlc version I need to download and if so, where would I find it?
VLC download page has those. You can also use http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/
Also, when you say “run manually” do you mean something other than clicking on the vlc icon to start the program?
I mean that you just double click vlc.exe from the location where you extracted the package.

sam99
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sam99 » 23 Nov 2010 11:46

Sorry for the delay in responding. Real life demanded my attention.

Ok, here are the steps I followed.

I went to the link you provided because I need vlc version 0.9.9.
I downloaded and extracted the files from this link http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... .9.tar.bz2 but I could not find a vlc.exe file.

I then went back and downloaded then extracted the files from this link http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... -win32.zip

This version did have the vlc.exe file which I clicked on.
I chose no when it asked if I wanted to uninstall my current version of vlc (1.1.0), unchecked the file associations tab and chose to have it installed in the same folder as my current vlc version.

Immediately after receiving the message that vlc 0.9.9 had been installed, another message popped up stating that vlc 0.9.9 had not installed properly. Which is true. The VideoLan program folder only contains files for vlc 1.1.0.

So it appears that I took a misstep somewhere in trying to install this version. Should I have installed version 0.9.9 to a different folder?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sam

CharredPC
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CharredPC » 23 Nov 2010 18:07

We use multiple versions of VLC on each Windows machine without a conflict. I use the normal installers, and to keep things straight, just alter the installation directory slightly. During setup, I change "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" to "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC115\vlc.exe" or C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC096\vlc.exe", etc. This keeps all installations in the normal VideoLAN directory, but subdivided by version. Hope this is clear.

sam99
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sam99 » 24 Nov 2010 12:20

Thanks for your reply and suggestion CharredPC. I followed your suggestion and changed VLC to VLC099. It installed and I was able to use the automatic screen capping mode, but while it was processing, the display became very sluggish. The end result was that I had to do a system restore back to the point before I installed vlc0.9.9. I now find that I cannot open vlc 1.1.0 so I will probably have to uninstall/reinstall it. Do you know if the windows 7 64 bit version can handle the vlc versions below 1.1.0?

Thanks for your help

Sam

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Nov 2010 18:14

Do you know if the windows 7 64 bit version can handle the vlc versions below 1.1.0?
VLC 1.0.2 and all newer versions are Windows 7 tested. Older versions should also work.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”