Repeatable crash with 1.1.5 on XP-32 Pro

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VlcWannable
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Repeatable crash with 1.1.5 on XP-32 Pro

Postby VlcWannable » 15 Nov 2010 19:29

In Preferences->Video Settings, check 'fullscreen'.

Open a video and set to 'minimal view' and 'full screen'

close VLC.

Then open a movie and let it start to play.

Right-click anywhere on the video and select 'Quit'.

VLC will hang and show 'not responding' in the task manager. It never starts responding and I have to kill the process.

This is 100% repeatable on XP Pro.

It does NOT happen on Win7-64.

A clue to what the problem may be is that if I play the video to the end, or advance the video to the end by dragging the timeline slider, it does NOT crash if I quit VLC.

If I right click and select 'leave full screen' and stop the video, it does NOT crash if I quit VLC.

This is not new behavior, it has done this since I started using VLC at maybe version 1.1.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Repeatable crash with 1.1.5 on XP-32 Pro

Postby Lotesdelere » 16 Nov 2010 00:56

I can't reproduce it (yes, on XP Pro 32 bits) and I've tried with many different codecs and containers combinations.
it has done this since I started using VLC at maybe version 1.1.
Try to reset Preferences and Cache.

VlcWannable
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VlcWannable » 16 Nov 2010 04:06

Are you in the mode where you have a small interface at the very bottom that disappears?

One fellow didn't realize that you could get into this full screen mode, and unless you are in this mode, the problem won't show itslef.

BTW - The 1st time I upgraded from 1.x, I didn't preserve the preferences or cache, so I think this reset them - and I still had the problem.

I see a button for resetting the preferences, but I don't see one for the cache.

thanks!

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: windows

Postby rogerdpack » 16 Nov 2010 04:39

I'm not able to reproduce it with your steps, however I have had VLC "hang" when exiting (from full screen) once before, with 1.1.5. It seems like it is somewhat of a chance occurrence...

VlcWannable
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VlcWannable » 16 Nov 2010 04:57

It's 100% of the time, IF I start the video and exit before it ends.

Otherwise, it does not hang.

And only hangs if I'm in the special full screen mode where there's only the video and a small interface that appears if I move my mouse to the bottom of the screen (otherwise, it is hidden).

Really strange, but a bit annoying as I have to remember to move the timeline to the end before quitting.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”