Can't Convert .WAV to .MP3

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VideoPlayer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Can't Convert .WAV to .MP3

Postby VideoPlayer » 06 Oct 2010 17:42

Hi,

I am trying to convert a .wav file to .mp3. This is what I did:

1) Select Media->Convert/Save...
2) Add the .wav file to convert.
3) Select Convert.
4) Select the Destination for the .mp3 file.
5) Under Settings, select Audio - MP3.
6) Click Start.

However, the .mp3 file is not created (it just says "Streaming" and nothing further seems to happen).

I am using VLC Media Player 1.1.4 on XP Home SP 3.

Any idea how to resolve this issue? The .wav file plays fine within VLC, so why is there difficulty converting to MP3? Are there any known bugs that might cause this?

Thanks in Advance.

VideoPlayer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can't Convert .WAV to .MP3

Postby VideoPlayer » 09 Oct 2010 21:40

I had another go today, but still no converted file was produced. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.

dgg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dgg » 10 Oct 2010 04:04

Maybe the wav file is in DTS 5.2 surroundsound format which VLC can play but won't convert. Google for a freebie program VALDEC part of ac3 filter tools. You run it from the command line and it can create a 2-channel wav. Subsequently you can use VLC or LAME to convert it to mp3.
If you want to convert lots of files to mp3 I wouldn't think of VLC - there are other programs can do it in bulk.
Equally if you have a WAV and a CUE there is splitter software can convert it to tracks.
Derek

VideoPlayer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VideoPlayer » 10 Oct 2010 13:03

Thanks for your reply.

I tried again today and managed to get the file to convert entirely using VLC!

I did it slightly differently:

Before, I created the destination file in the same folder as the source file, with the same name (but used the .mp3 extension) - this failed to convert (although no error message was shown).

Today, I created the destination file in a different folder to the source file, with a totally different name. Afterwards, I renamed the file and moved it back to where I wanted it. This worked fine.

Not sure why the first method did not work (as I have no reason to believe it would fail). Maybe someone could look into this to see if there is an underlying problem that could be fixed?

northlondon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby northlondon » 20 Oct 2010 15:38

No more info, but thanks VideoPlayer for posting this. I can confirm that this works for me. I've made this new directory below the source, so my player picks it up automatically.

:-)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”