How to improve milky (overexposured ?) video display?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
thoste
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

How to improve milky (overexposured ?) video display?

Postby thoste » 26 Sep 2010 11:10

When I play *.avi videos on a certain computer (with Win7) then all the videos are somehow milky. They seem to be overexposured.

But this is not because of the internal video encoding. If I play the same video on other computers (with WinXP) then they appear "normal" with good colors.

Is there a way to adjust (in VLC or Win7) the display so that view is more colorful?

Thomas

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: How to improve milky (overexposured ?) video display?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Sep 2010 10:53

Use the effects dialog.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

smurfmachine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby smurfmachine » 06 Oct 2010 01:45

check the contrast and gamma settings on your graphics card, the issue lies there. not with VLC

Principe Rospo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Principe Rospo » 28 Mar 2011 22:04

I also have the same issue when using VLC Media Player v1.1.8 regarding the milky over exposed video display! Let me provide some additional details here. The same video works fine in the host W7 operating system on both Windows Media Player and VLC Media Player. When I play back the same video in the guest operating system (Windows XP) only in VLC does this issue occur, but NOT with Windows Media Player!

So if there was an issue with the Video Card settings, this would apply to all the Media Players, right? Why should Windows Media Player work fine, and NOT VLC? Also, it's obvious that the video is okay, works fine in the Host OS and Guest OS if VLC isn't used. By the way I was using v1.1.4 before and upgraded to v1.1.8 hoping this would resolve the issue.

What I think might be happening here is when I installed W7 32bit Ultimate Edition, that is when this issue first started. Before the host OS was Windows XP SP3. This was the only change, same VMware Virtual machine, some virtual machine program as before, same Guest OS as before. It's difficult to swallow this isn't related in some way to VLC?

Is anyone else having this issue?

Update - 2011-03-28 1:18 p.m., I found the problem, under the VLC Media Player main menu, Tools > Effect and Filters, in the folder tab "Video Effects > Basic" the "Image Adjust" settings is turned on by default. I unchecked this but the setting is NOT remembered. How to make the setting keep here?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Mar 2011 23:39

Reset preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”