Choppy audio and video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Beef Cake
New Cone
New Cone

Choppy audio and video

Postby Beef Cake » 10 Sep 2010 19:14

Hey guys, I'm currently running VLC 1.1.3 & 1.1.4

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5870 (Cross-Fire)
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB)
Intel X25-M 80GB SATA II MLC
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
Windows 7 64Bit

My problem is whenever bright white light comes into play when watchingt a movie, the audio and video stutters, and I get artifacts.

For example, if a large explosion was to take place in the movie and causes a bright white flash, the audio and video acts up. It doesn't do this with any other player I may happen to use, so I'm wonderign if there is a setting I'm missing or if its a issue with VLC.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

BC

Beef Cake
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Choppy audio and video

Postby Beef Cake » 16 Sep 2010 02:56

Anyone have a solution to this?

Comment? Anything other than having my post ignored or acknowledged?

Whateverman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Whateverman » 16 Sep 2010 03:35

I've been using the VLC Media player for a while now. Within the last few months, I've noticed that the audio stutters (1-2 ms) when playing DVDs from the disk. It doesn't seem to do this with media files on the hard drive, and none of the other media players I use (Win Media Player, Real, Quick Time) does this.

I haven't noticed that this is linked with specific things in the video (re. white lights, explosions, etc). I mostly notice the issue when watching drumming DVDs; a single stick hit sounds like a flam, and I can hear the audio stutter 2-3 times.

I haven't seen anything about this on the forums, but I'll keep looking...

OhkaBaka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby OhkaBaka » 09 Jun 2011 16:40

Beef, you aren't alone... I have the exact same problem.

My hardware is completely different (I don't have the specs on my machine handy, so I'll avoid guessing). I am running Win 7 64.

The issue has existed for a while, but has gotten noticably worse in the last version of vlc I installed... I was hoping there was a quick solution, but it looks like your request has gone answered for most of a year.

I'm pushing this machine pretty hard to watch video smoothly, HD video will sometimes stutter regardless of the brightness, but typically 1.5 megapixel-ish video has no trouble at all. UNLESS there is an intensely bright scene. Audio starts to pop when there are explosions or flashes.

For a while I thought it was extreme changes in volume... but I realized background music over otherwise soundless flashes also cut out.

My assumption is that processing for a lot of "white" is somehow more intense than dark scenes, and the audio is what takes the hit.

I was hoping the the processor would have a switch somewhere that would allow me to protect the audio instead... dropping the framerate while keeping the sound smooth would be a much nicer tradeoff.

Or... you know... not doing it at all would be cool too.

OB

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Jun 2011 15:12

You can try OpenGL video output module, it should work better with AOUTs.
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-1.1 ... _output.3F

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”