Playlist file order for long file names

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
HisPetsMaster
New Cone
New Cone

Playlist file order for long file names

Postby HisPetsMaster » 22 Jul 2010 15:26

first, I love the new version of VLC and how it handles most things. I especially like the docking of the playlist window, BUT...

here is my problem, the playlist does not handle files in this format correctly:

Doctor.Who.1963.S01E02.The.Daleks.(1of7).The.Dead.Planet.tvrip.avi

What I get instead is:
Doctor Who 1963 S01E02

Not only does it truncate the file name in the file listing, but it is unable to handle the actual order of the files internally.

OK I figured out how it can be done in the playlist, it isn't obvious initially. Enable the URI field and then sorting can be done that way, SO LONG as all the files you are trying to sort are in the same folder/partition/computer. Otherwise, if you have a sequence of files, that are spread around your computer/network hardware, this STILL won't do the job. It essentially makes the title field a useless and unnecessary field. (this was one of the things I really liked about the 1.0.x series, that the title would sort correctly, no matter WHERE in the system OR network, the different files where at).

The initial issue is still one that needs to be addressed, especially with a player that attempts to be network wide rather than just centered on one machine. The "title" sorting should handle long file names internally in a graceful manner and if possible not truncate them when presented to the user. (I would also like a way to disable the "clean up" feature).

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”