VLC 1.1.1 Win XP keeps crashing

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Arksun
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 1.1.1 Win XP keeps crashing

Postby Arksun » 22 Jul 2010 13:36

I have problem with latest version of VLC on Windows XP Pro SP3.

I was previously on something like 1.0.5. That worked perfectly fine, no crashes with any file format. But now with this new version its very hit and miss. Sometimes it crashes upon double clicking the video file (not very often though). But most of the time it crashes upon closing a video by clicking on the top corner X button.

This is particuarly with shorter videos or ones that haven't been playing for very long. What happens is I click on the little X, the program dissapears off the screen making me think its closed but it hasn't, there's still the little orange icon in the bottom right of the taskbar.

If I double click on the little icon then there's a very brief windows flash on screen and it dissapears and THEN i can click on another video to watch that.

If I just close VLC, ignore the little icon still in the taskbar and try to click on another video, it wont play.
Previous 1.0.x versions were fine on this system.

System Spec: Intel core i7 920, XP Pro SP3 32-bit. ATI HD4850 1gig gpu, 6gigs ram (3.6 of which viewable by XP 32-bit). Gigabyte EX58-UD5 mobo.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC 1.1.1 Win XP keeps crashing

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Jul 2010 17:01

Reset preferences and cache.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

c3bhm
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby c3bhm » 22 Jul 2010 22:52

Exactly the same problem here, and this has been mentioned on other posts - at least as long as a month ago - AND YET NO FIX YET. Really frustrating. How hard can it be?!?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Jul 2010 23:57

Exactly the same problem here, and this has been mentioned on other posts - at least as long as a month ago - AND YET NO FIX YET. Really frustrating. How hard can it be?!?
As hard as you not giving us enough detail to reproduce.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

kdulep
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kdulep » 23 Jul 2010 01:06

Same here, after update keeps crashing, no such problems b4
Crashing on different and all videos.. on playback end
But strange after i restarted chrome browser and activated debug interface crashes ended and i cannot reproduce it
But before it got fixed i sended crash report (on VLC promt) after that crash

Edit: it crashed again but cannot 100% reproduce it

Quadro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Quadro » 23 Jul 2010 04:25

I had the same problem with constant crashing with the new version. Rolled back to V1.0.5 and everything is fine.

Arksun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Arksun » 23 Jul 2010 15:58

Reset preferences and cache.
That has no effect. Seems quite a few people experiencing same problem, suggest you guys seriously look into this.

wyldemusick
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wyldemusick » 24 Jul 2010 01:47

Same issue here. I play a video (doesn't matter the type; it happens with avi, mpg, DVD, you name it) and at the end VLC 1.1.1 locks, and clicking the close button causes a crash. Double-clicking a video file to start it while VLC is still open after playing a video does nothing.

This same behavior was apparent in 1.1.0 as well. Cleaning prefs and cache does nothing but create a minor annoyance (having to reset prefs later.) Rolling back to 1.05 worked just fine. Considering this issue, I might just roll back to that again, and stay there.

djohnsfb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby djohnsfb » 24 Jul 2010 11:56

Same problem is happening here also whenever I install the vlc player it works for couple of days then it suddenly crash down whenever uses with any other programme runing?
Sometimes it even doesn't appear in program list when we turn on the Pc?

Genius is an immense capacity for taking trouble
Genius is an immense capacity for taking trouble

wyldemusick
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wyldemusick » 24 Jul 2010 12:03

Adding to my previous comment, this seems to happen specifically in fullscreen mode. I've been running VLC 1.1.1 windowed but fully expanded, and seem to be able to queue videos or play them one after the other that way (which of course reduces the actual real estate used on a widescreen monitor.)

I'm running a Gateway dual core system, 2Gb, ATI Radeon video card with 128Mb of memory and the latest drivers, Dell and Hanns-G monitors, Windows XP Pro. Not that it matters -- the same behavior noccurs on my backup system (a Dell Dimension B110 with an ATI Rage Pro128 32Mb card, IBM and Dell monitors, XP Pro, 1Gb, Celeron CPU.)

hansebee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hansebee » 29 Jul 2010 08:51

it happens to me in any mode, fullscreen or windowed, MP3 playback or AVI /MKV etc. after the video has ended on it's own or during playback. Upon clicking the little x the program does disappear, but you cant open another instance before going into task manager and killing vlc.exe manually. It's task bar symbol remains also, visible next to the system clock, but without any controls (can't click it).

I have reset all settings, killed the cache, I tried setting the playback codecs to system codecs and tampered with those settings - to no avail. The only thing that helped me in a way was setting the player to "allow only one instance" mode where any video you start gets added to the playlist instead of opening another VLC window, that only crashes the player in 50% of the cases.

I went back to 1.0.5 for now as this never caused any problems.

I am on WinXP SP2 on an Intel E8400 dualcore, Asus P5Q-E board, GeForce gtx260... no crash in over a year and counting :-D

hansebee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hansebee » 22 Aug 2010 10:16

v 1.1.3 the problem s still there. For testing purposes i did a clean sweep of my system, removing all previous codec /pack installations I could, to no avail.

hardynicks
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hardynicks » 22 Aug 2010 12:07

v 1.1.3 the problem s still there. For testing purposes i did a clean sweep of my system, removing all previous codec /pack installations I could, to no avail.
Codec packs can't affect VLC as it is not a Directshow player.

wyldemusick
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wyldemusick » 31 Aug 2011 06:06

Same behavior with v. 1.1.11 -- the only real change is that I'm now on a Dell Optiplex. I think I'm going to roll back to 1.05 AGAIN and stick with that through yet more updates.

kmpres
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kmpres » 11 Nov 2011 00:18

I have recently updated my winxp to sp3 and recently installed vlc 1.1.11 after that. it seemed to work fine the first day, but now it crashes every time after about 10 seconds. I uninstalled and reinstalled it but same thing. I thought maybe the nero i installed was causing it, but I uninstalled part of nero and vlc crashes now after 15 seconds. I ended up going back to vlc ver 1.0.5 which seems to be working fine.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Nov 2011 19:36

Did you try resetting VLC settings by removing %appdata%\vlc folder?

sef88401
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sef88401 » 01 Dec 2011 07:32

Did you try resetting VLC settings by removing %appdata%\vlc folder?
Are you joking?
Because every once in a while my VLC will crash...but it is ALWAYS when I change settings (love to tweak). It has NEVER been a bug, or corrupt install. It's because I'm too impatient to do one at a time. And that is exactly why I love this player. So It doesn't bother me when it crashes...I just return to default, and that ALWAYS solves my problem.

That's why I asked "Are you joking?" when you stated "removing %appdata%\vlc". Is this a shortcut trick? or are you just pulling the chains of all those whiners who blame VLC?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Dec 2011 16:25

VLC config file can get into such state the VLC won't start at all. And since uninstaller doesn't always remove vlcrc or qt*.ini files from %appdata%\vlc , I have to ALWAYS ask that.

sef80033
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sef80033 » 03 Dec 2011 06:12

VLC config file can get into such state the VLC won't start at all. And since uninstaller doesn't always remove vlcrc or qt*.ini files from %appdata%\vlc , I have to ALWAYS ask that.

Good to know...thanks.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”