VLC 1.1.1 still no GPU Acceleration WinXP (Case Closed!)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
play_me
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 1.1.1 still no GPU Acceleration WinXP (Case Closed!)

Postby play_me » 22 Jul 2010 01:25

EDIT 2: OK, no GPU acceleration as Win XP supports only DXVA1, but VLC supports only DXVA2, so case is closed for now, thanks everybody!

Hi,

I was really happy to see v 1.1.1 coming out as 1.1.0 GPU acceleration didn't work for me as I have a ATI graphics chip,
but unfortunately I still don't have any GPU acceleration performance.

OK, thought I would find something in the setup (advanced) if it had to be enabled but to no avail.
So I went to check if any video filters were on as they can dramatically affect the performance on a weak GPU, and in VLC under the "Deinterlace mode" the "blend" was set to default so turned it off but no difference.
Looking at the CPU usage (Ctrl + Alt + Del) it's peaking up to 100% on core 1 and around 50% on core 2, and this on my AMD dual core machine and the video still stuttering.

I have successfully been able to play same movie on MPC Home Cinema and MKplayer with the "FFDshow DXVA" plugin, and on both players the CPU usage is barely 10%.

So, what is wrong, I tried to find some help under http://www.videolan.org/doc/ but nothing mentioned about the GPU acceleration.

Would be happy to make the VLC player work for me as it has been a long time favourite player of mine, but since we are moving towards Bluray and other H/X264 HQ formats I am forced to live with other players, hope somebody could help what I'm missing.

Oh, and the ATI Catalyst 10.7 is not yet out http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catal ... egrated-xp
so I still run with 10.6 but as been told it works great with my other players, and I have also updated my DirectX library and DXVA so I think everything should be up to date in my machine.

EDIT: I should add that I use Win XP.

Regards
Last edited by play_me on 22 Jul 2010 07:12, edited 3 times in total.

Damien
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC 1.1.1 still no GPU acceleration

Postby Damien » 22 Jul 2010 03:09

What's new in 1.1.1

* DxVA2 decoding on ATI GPU, with Catalyst 10.7

A few days patience my friend.

Chancer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chancer » 22 Jul 2010 03:12

At first, DXVA won't be enabled for ATi cards until Catalyst 10.7 is released.
Once released, you can go to Settings > Inputs & Codecs > Enable GPU acceleration.

It won't be long, so be a little more patience.

play_me
New Cone
New Cone

Postby play_me » 22 Jul 2010 03:49

What's new in 1.1.1

* DxVA2 decoding on ATI GPU, with Catalyst 10.7

A few days patience my friend.

Ok, I hope so the Catalyst 10.7 will solve it, but DXVA2 isn't available in Win XP which is what I'm using and should have pointed out earlier, sorry for that.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

Let us see if Catalyst 10.7 will help solve my problem anyway.
Last edited by play_me on 22 Jul 2010 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

play_me
New Cone
New Cone

Postby play_me » 22 Jul 2010 04:08

At first, DXVA won't be enabled for ATi cards until Catalyst 10.7 is released.
Once released, you can go to Settings > Inputs & Codecs > Enable GPU acceleration.

It won't be long, so be a little more patience.

I'm not sure what you mean DXVA wont be enabled with ATI GPU until Catalyst 10.7, I use "FFDShow DXVA" and it can use DXVA with Catalyst 10.6 very well, am I missing something here?

Thanks btw for your instruction where to enable the GPU acceleration, however I had a second look but I couldn't find "Enable GPU acceleration", can you please tell me more specifically under which sub-menu it is or will it not be visible until I have updated to Catalyst 10.7?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC 1.1.1 still no GPU acceleration (note: Under Win XP!

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Jul 2010 06:46

DxVA2 is only available on Windows Vista, 2008 and 7. If you are under XP, you won't have it in VLC.

Moreover, if you are with an ATI card, you need Catalyst 10.7 that will be out in a few days for it to function within VLC.

That doesn't mean you can't have GPU decoding in general, that just mean you cannot have it within VLC.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

play_me
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 1.1.1 still no GPU acceleration (note: Under Win XP!

Postby play_me » 22 Jul 2010 06:59

DxVA2 is only available on Windows Vista, 2008 and 7. If you are under XP, you won't have it in VLC.

Moreover, if you are with an ATI card, you need Catalyst 10.7 that will be out in a few days for it to function within VLC.

That doesn't mean you can't have GPU decoding in general, that just mean you cannot have it within VLC.
OK folks case closed, thanks J-B I got it!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”