Crash playing CD in XP

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Mr.Dave
New Cone
New Cone

Crash playing CD in XP

Postby Mr.Dave » 19 Jul 2010 17:43

Using [ Media -> Open Disc... -> Audio CD -> Play ] only works ONE time after installing VLC 1.1.0 on Win XP.
First time after installing I can see all songs on the CD listed in the playlist, can switch to previous/next song, play them in order. Life is good.
When trying to play the same CD again (or another one), if I leave Track set at 0 on the Open Disc menu VLC crashes. If I pick a specific track number, only that track is loaded into the playlist. There's no way I can find to play a whole CD.
If I completely uninstall VLC with Revo Uninstaller, then reinstall it, I can repeat the above steps. Rebooting the PC made no difference.
This feature works fine on my Vista PC, but on my friend's XP system it's no go.
Just tried to duplicate this on my XP system and had the same results.
Install -> Run -> Media -> Open Disc... -> Audio CD -> Play -> Show Playlist -> Exit
Run -> Media -> Open Disc... -> Audio CD -> Play -> crash
Run -> Hide Playlist -> Media -> Open Disc... -> Audio CD -> Play -> crash
I didn't try to uninstall & reinstall but expect the same behavior.
I didn't change ANY settings.
VLC was NOT previously installed on my XP system (Dell 4550, Win XP SP3, 1gb ram.

Please let me know if you need more information, and if there's an older version that works for playing CDs on XP.
PS - I use VLC on my Vista system for lots of things, really appreciate ability to slow down and loop both video and audio, helps a bunch when learning guitar parts! I also like having ONE program to do everything instead of learning 4 or 5 different interfaces.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Crash playing CD in XP

Postby VLC_help » 20 Jul 2010 17:03

Known issue.

Bronth
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bronth » 20 Jul 2010 22:05

Hello to all!

I wasn't sure if I should have posted this in a new thread but I have exactly the same behavior on my PC (Athlon 64 X2 5000+) under Vista Business 32 bit SP2. On a fresh VLC install (or after resetting it to the original settings) Audio CDs play once, but even if I do NOTHING to the preferences and just restart VLC it crashes. I have the portable version of VLC.

Best regards,
Andrei

bouktin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bouktin » 17 Sep 2010 16:23

Hi,

I got the same issue on winxp
it is referenced as ticket 4140 in trac, if someone wants to add informations.

I found a workaround :
after a crash occurs, go to %APPDATA%\vlc\ and delete vlcrc file. then start vlc and you'll be able to play audio cd.

as I don't know the utility of this file, you do such operation at your own risk.

for information % APPDATA% on winxp is :
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USERNAME>\Application Data\

bouktin

MT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MT » 15 Oct 2010 01:39

tonegreen
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.4
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby tonegreen » 13 Nov 2010 21:20

I have just installed VLC.
I was amazed to see the app disappear when asked to play an audio cd, the first time just by ticking the 'Audio CD' control box.
When I restarted VLC it told me 'VLC has just crashed, do you want to send a bug report to the developers?'
I messed about a bit with suggestions from the forum.
For instance, my album are lownload policy was already set to manual (despite which VLC still downloads album art without asking me). I don't think the vlcrc file plays a role.
Now noticing that there were always two VLC icons in the systray after a crash I set 'Allow only one instance' in the simple Interface settings.
I have no idea why or which features I am now not allowed but problem solved.
For now.
tonegreen
XP SP3
NV Geforce 6200
LG DVD GH22LP20
M-AUDIO 410

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”