Command line transcode produces no file

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tenbob
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Command line transcode produces no file

Postby tenbob » 03 May 2010 01:03

Hi. I've been unable to run transcode successfully from the command line. I've tried all day with different options. Whatever I do there is no output file created. I must be doing something silly.

This is one of many commands I tried ...

Code: Select all

vlc -vvv "vts_01_0.vob" --sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp2v}:std{access=file, mux=ps,dst="C:\Users\Bob\vlcfile.mpg"}'
All that happens is VLC opens with no file loaded. There is no output file generated and no error message.

The input file is OK. If I run the command

vlc -vvv "vts_01_0.vob"
VLC runs and plays the video.

I tried specifying the output file in lots of different ways - the complete path, just the filename, in quotes, not in quotes. None worked. I've got full permissions in the destination directory. I'm running Windows Vista and VLC 1.0.5.

Can anyone help, please?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Command line transcode produces no file

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 May 2010 07:21

Look at the logs in the messages box.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

tenbob
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tenbob » 03 May 2010 12:09

Hi j-b. Thanks for the quick reply. I tried again and the messages window is completely blank. The modules window shows something like this but I think it's quite standard ...

libvlc "libvlc"... playlist ... playlist fetcher ... interface "hotkeys" ... interface "globalhotkeys" ... interface "qt4" ...
So VLC is not showing any obvious error like it can't find the file, etc. Each time before I run the command line I make sure that I have closed all previous instances of VLC.

I did a further test. I ran the command line from my previous post with a different name for the input file. I put a file name that doesn't exist. I get exactly the same symptoms. VLC opens but nothing happens and no error message. So it looks like VLC is not getting to the point where it opens the file. I'm sure it must be something really simple.

Thanks, Bob

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 May 2010 12:46

Once you start VLC with that transcode option, open Tools -> Messages... (set Verbosity to 2), then press play.

tenbob
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tenbob » 03 May 2010 16:32

Thanks for your help j-b. I think I have nearly solved the problem. It looks like Windows completely mangles the command line when it passes the parameters to VLC. VLC was trying to use a filename of "vlcfile.mpg}'" as the input file (see below). That is actually part of the output file name plus some extra punctuation characters on the end.

The only way I made it work was to put the whole string after --sout in double quotes instead of single quotes.

Here's a summary of what I found to help others

1. In Windows, the command line will only work if the entire string after sout is in *double* quotes and not single quotes.

2. If you start VLC from the command line and there is an error, then there is no useful feedback. VLC just opens and sits there. In the GUI the Messages window remains blank. This was solved by the suggestion from j-b. You can make VLC process the input over again by pressing the Play button. This time the message window will be filled in properly and you can see the errors.

3. The command line option -vvv is supposed to give verbose error messages. Maybe they go somewhere useful in Linux, but I haven't been able to find them in Windows.

Re point 2, Shouldn't the message window be updated on the *first* time the command line is executed. This would give immediate feedback as to what went wrong.

I found some of the documentation on the command line very difficult to understand. I would really like to contribute and improve this. Would this be helpful to the team?

Many thanks, Bob

Details of the original command line that didn't work.

Command line from my original post

vlc -vvv "vts_01_0.vob" --sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp2v}:std{access=file, mux=ps,dst="C:\Users\Bob\vlcfile.mpg"}'
Message window

main debug: processing request item vlcfile.mpg}' node Playlist skip 0 main debug: resyncing on vlcfile.mpg}' main debug: vlcfile.mpg}' is at 1 main debug: starting new item main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'vlcfile.mpg}'' main debug: thread (input) created at priority 1 (../.././src/input/input.c:230) main debug: thread started main debug: using sout chain=`standard{mux="",access="'#transcode{vcodec=mp2v}",dst="std{access=file,"}' main debug: stream=`standard' main debug: looking for sout stream module: 1 candidate qt4 debug: IM: Setting an input main warning: missing value for option mux main debug: set config option: sout-standard-access to '#transcode{vcodec=mp2v} main debug: set config option: sout-standard-dst to std{access=file, stream_out_standard debug: creating `'#transcode{vcodec=mp2v}/(null)://std{access=file,' stream_out_standard error: no mux specified or found by extension main warning: no sout stream module matching "standard" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 10.000 ms - Total 10.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 10.000 ms) main debug: destroying chain... (name=standard) main debug: destroying chain done main error: stream chain failed for `standard{mux="",access="'#transcode{vcodec=mp2v}",dst="std{access=file,"}' main error: cannot start stream output instance, aborting main debug: thread ended main debug: dead input main debug: thread times: real 0m0.010000s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s main debug: changing item without a request (current 1/2) main debug: nothing to play qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry main debug: TIMER input launching for 'vlcfile.mpg}'' : 55.000 ms - Total 55.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 55.000 ms)
Command line that does work

vlc -vvv "vts_01_0.vob" --sout "#transcode{vcodec=mp2v}:std{access=file, mux=ps,dst="C:\Users\Bob\vlcfile.mpg"}"

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 May 2010 11:13

Don't put whitespace to transcode. So

vlc -vvv "vts_01_0.vob" --sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp2v}:std{access=file,mux=ps,dst="C:\Users\Bob\vlcfile.mpg"}'
should be better.

tenbob
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tenbob » 04 May 2010 15:13

Hi VLC_help. Thanks for the tip to remove whitespace. Same as before, this only works if you change the single quotes to double quotes.

With single quotes Vista mangles the command line and VLC can't understand it. I've now got another problem with aspect ratio. I'll make a new thread. Thanks.

jhb50
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jhb50 » 27 May 2010 05:52

I had the same problem and this worked. No = and no ' or "
vlc -vvv "vts_01_0.vob" --sout #transcode{vcodec=mp2v}:std{access=file, mux=ps,dst="C:\Users\Bob\vlcfile.mpg"}

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”