Monitor Power-off inoperative after VLC use

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
lemel_man
New Cone
New Cone

Monitor Power-off inoperative after VLC use

Postby lemel_man » 23 Mar 2010 16:42

VLC 1.0.5, XP Pro+SP3 + all updates.
I've set up my system to power-off the monitor after 5mins of inactivity, but a few weeks ago I noticed that it was still on after about 30mins. After a re-boot the power-off was working properly again, but later in the day it again stopped working. I suspected that a program that I didn't use often was the culprit, but I didn't really know where to look, so I started keeping a record and today I discovered that it was VLC.
The monitor was in power-off state, I woke it up and used VLC to show a little .wmv video. After watching I left the machine for a while, but the monitor was still on after an hour.
I noticed that it tried to go into power-off mode after 5mins, but all that happened was that the display blinked and stayed on.
Any ideas please?

dsunde
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Monitor Power-off inoperative after VLC use

Postby dsunde » 23 Mar 2010 22:55

I get the same thing, but it is not just VLC. It happens after I play a video from the web like Hulu.com. I manually reset the monitor power off time in the power options and it works again. But if I play another video, it is off again. I am still looking for a solution.

lemel_man
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lemel_man » 24 Mar 2010 08:32

Thanks for that.
Although re-applying the original time-out value didn't work, changing the value did the trick.
It would be nice if programs that tinker with these things would leave them in the state in which they were found.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Mar 2010 15:55

It would be nice if programs that tinker with these things would leave them in the state in which they were found.
VLC should do that if it is closed down correctly. But if VLC crashes or freezes, then the wrong value is left on.

lemel_man
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lemel_man » 24 Mar 2010 19:16

Unfortunately I did close it properly.
Interestingly, if, after it has gone wrong, I change the time-out period, then it works, but each time I change it back to the original value it fails again.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”