Can't display video in original size

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
kok
New Cone
New Cone

Can't display video in original size

Postby kok » 19 Mar 2010 21:43

I try to use VLC to display videos captured by Canon 5D mark II. The resolution is 1920*1080. My LCD monitor display resolution is 1280*1024. The problem is, VLC won't display the video in its original size (which should be bigger than my display). VLC just keeps displaying the video of my monitor size, and claiming that it's the "original size". I tried the video->zoom->1:1 original, and I tried press the 'o' hotkey, but VLC still displays just my screen size and claimed that it is the original video size.

When I use Quicktime player, it displays the original size perfectly. So, please tell me where did I set wrong in VLC? Thank you very much!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Can't display video in original size

Postby VLC_help » 20 Mar 2010 17:02

Does it help if you disable Embedded video option?
Tools -> Preferences... and the Save and restart VLC.

kok
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kok » 20 Mar 2010 18:33

I tried disable the "embedded video", but it doesn't help :(

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 21 Mar 2010 12:55

Does it help if you disable Video Auto Scaling option from below? (Save and restart VLC after changes)

kok
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kok » 21 Mar 2010 13:18

Does it help if you disable Video Auto Scaling option from below? (Save and restart VLC after changes)
Yes, I had already disable video auto scaling, but it doesn't work.

One thing is, even if I select the Video->Zoom->2:1 Double, VLC still only displaying my screen size, but not changing any bigger. However, when I select Video->Zoom->1:4 Quarter, VLC does become smaller. Meaning, it can strink but not grow.

I tested on a few players and I selected the actual-size to test.
Qtime -- works fine.
VLC, KMPlayer, Adobe Media Player -- not working.

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 22 Mar 2010 13:34

Which OS do you use ? ... probably Windows :( ?

- autoscale parameter (aka ctrl-'o' hotkey)

On Windows, there is a technical limitation that prevents video from exceeding screen size. This limitation was added to work around some side effects (black screen). Yet, the autoscale toggle hotkey keeps on claiming 'original size' as OSD message, which should be construed as 'I tried to resize to original size, but that failed !'

On Linux, there is no such limitation. Everything works as would be expected.

- crop parameter (aka 'c' hotkey)

Yet, on Windows, you can achieve what you want with the crop parameter. In your case, sizing to original size when size is greater than screen is almost tantamount to cropping to fit a given screen. 1280*1024 is a 5:4 screen format. Choosing 5:4 with the 'c' hotkey approaches the result you are looking for. :)

Erwan10

kok
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kok » 22 Mar 2010 15:21

Which OS do you use ? ... probably Windows :( ?

- autoscale parameter (aka ctrl-'o' hotkey)

On Windows, there is a technical limitation that prevents video from exceeding screen size. This limitation was added to work around some side effects (black screen). Yet, the autoscale toggle hotkey keeps on claiming 'original size' as OSD message, which should be construed as 'I tried to resize to original size, but that failed !'

On Linux, there is no such limitation. Everything works as would be expected.

- crop parameter (aka 'c' hotkey)

Yet, on Windows, you can achieve what you want with the crop parameter. In your case, sizing to original size when size is greater than screen is almost tantamount to cropping to fit a given screen. 1280*1024 is a 5:4 screen format. Choosing 5:4 with the 'c' hotkey approaches the result you are looking for. :)

Erwan10
Yes Erwan, you got it right. I'm using Windows XP(SP3) and windows stops the VLC to become bigger size than the window size (I tried to drag the VLC app to resize it, and it stops at the screen size).

However, your crop 'c'-hotkey method does not work too :(
Since Qtime player can do it, there must be a way to do this! But how....

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”