Video will not play on flash drive

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
coorslight67
New Cone
New Cone

Video will not play on flash drive

Postby coorslight67 » 23 Feb 2010 10:04

Hi,
I downloaded a video and it played fine on the vlc player and when I copied it to my flash drive it works fine, Then I copied several more videos and they play fine on the vlc player on my laptop, but when I copy them to my flash drive, they will not play, the vlc screen comes up and starts to play and then I get an error saying vlc does not recognise the format. Did not make much sense why the file plays fine on the player, but when the same file is copied to the flash drive, it will not open, anyone have any ideas why? Please Help!!!!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Video will not play on flash drive

Postby VLC_help » 23 Feb 2010 17:21

Open Tools -> Messages... (set Verbosity to 2) before playback. It should give more details when error happens.

coorslight67
New Cone
New Cone

Postby coorslight67 » 23 Feb 2010 22:01

The error message says this does not look like an mpeg ps stream, and then it keeps saying garbage at input trying to resync, and finally at the end it says, nothing to play. I am not sure why it will play fine when I open the file on the computer but when I copy it to the flash drive it does not open, what would change in the file just by copying it to the flash drive?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Feb 2010 16:33

what would change in the file just by copying it to the flash drive?
AV software, broken filesystem, broken hardware...

lexein
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.19
Operating System: win/linux/mac

Postby lexein » 25 Feb 2010 15:11

The flash drive might be fake, and you've reached its _true_ capacity, as opposed to its _reported_ capacity.
See http://fightflashfraud.wordpress.com/20 ... elp-folks/
Download their recommended test tool h2testw , and test your drive.

fightflashfraud
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fightflashfraud » 12 Mar 2010 16:39

lexein is probably right - the usual cause of this problem is that the USB flash drive is fake capacity - seems like it has the advertised capacity when you look at drive properties but the real capacity is a lot less.

This is due to the fact that Windows relies on what the drive reports to the system and fraudsters (generally in China) program flash memory items to report false / fake capacities. Once the real capacity is exceeded files start to be corrupted.

lexin quite rightly suggests testing the flash drive with h2testw, a free program you can find out about on the fightflashfraud blog - there is a link there to the free download site (a German computer magazine) - anyone who uses flash memory items should have this program!!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”