Why does File Open default to media files? Why no MP3?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
anarchman
New Cone
New Cone

Why does File Open default to media files? Why no MP3?

Postby anarchman » 23 Feb 2010 07:59

OS: Windows XP (maybe reproducible on Linux don't have a box in front of me to test)
VLC Version: 1.01 Goldeneye

If you choose Media -> Open File this opens up a folder view, and the file type is set to "Media Files". Apparently, "Media Files" doesn't include .mp3 files and one has to choose "Audio Files" every time in order to see audio files and then to open an audio file. This is MADDENING. If you are like me and switch between computers at work and home and open music files many times a day, this leads to hours of wasted time a year. Older versions of VLC did not do this. I have searched google, gone through the help, and searched this forum and found no way to change this behavior other than to revert to a previous version of VLC.

I don't understand why this change was made, and even if I did understand that, I would not understand why you guys didn't give an option to set the default file type to open (if there is an option for this somewhere, please point me to the documentation that says so).

lexein
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.19
Operating System: win/linux/mac

Re: Why does File Open default to media files? Why no MP3?

Postby lexein » 23 Feb 2010 18:22

Any [media files] issue seems to have been resolved silently on or before 1.03, released on October 31, 2009. Both 1.03 and 1.05 offer .mp3 in the "media files" extensions list. (Note: 1.05 has two unrelated minor playlist issues which may affect you, but are easily worked around viewtopic.php?f=14&t=72631)

To see if a problem has already been fixed, test the latest release directly from http://videolan.org and authorized mirrors. I notice that portableapps.com also has 1.05 up. ;)

Test environment: XP Pro SP3+all updates, VLC installed with all media support, associated with all video, audio, playlist, and streaming extensions.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”