Saving a repaired AVI?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Saving a repaired AVI?

Postby MacEachaidh » 13 Feb 2010 22:07

Sometimes VLC wants to repair an AVI file before playing it. I allow it to do so, and it's usually pretty quick, and then all plays OK.

But each time I want to load that same .AVI, VLC needs to go through the repair routine again. I've tried manually opening the file in VLC, allowing it to repair, and then saving it to a different name; but the newly-saved .AVI still wants to be repaired again each time it's opened, so apparently whatever repairs VLC is actually making don't get saved into the new file; I've tried saving the repaired file as an MP4, but it simply won't play when I try to open it again, with no error message coming up in VLC.

I'm a bit new to all this, so I'm not sure how to check exactly what's wrong with the .AVI file, independent of the functional-but-brief message VLC gives. Is there anything immediately apparent about what I'm doing that I should be doing differently? How can I get around this problem? The repair routine is always fairly quick, and apparently successful (because the file then plays), but I'd like to resolve it once and for all.

For reference, I'm using VLC 1.03 on Windows XP (SP3), with 3 GB RAM.

Thanks for any help.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Saving a repaired AVI?

Postby VLC_help » 14 Feb 2010 19:52

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”