Horizontal flickering/lines

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
sosaited
New Cone
New Cone

Horizontal flickering/lines

Postby sosaited » 01 Feb 2010 09:52

I started noticing this when I got a monitor with 1600x900 resolution and I was watching Lost S5 FInale in 720p. Whenever there was some relatively quick camera movement, there will appear Horizontal black "lines" or you might call it flickering. Then I even noticed them in a bit more quick movement in a normal xvid video.

Then I recently downloaded a 720p Youtube video which has some fade in/out, and they are really prominent and noticeable during the fades. I have CCC codec installed so I played it on WMP 9, and there was no flickering or lines whatsoever.

Can anyone tell if there are some settings that needs to be changed to avoid this?

I am using VLC 1.0.3 on Windows XP SP2, Intel P4 3.0Ghz with HT, 1GB Ram, Asus P5GL-MX and built-in graphics.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Horizontal flickering/lines

Postby VLC_help » 01 Feb 2010 15:44

If it only happens on full screen playback, set full screen controller opacity to 1.

frypan
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Horizontal flickering/lines

Postby frypan » 08 Feb 2010 17:48

The solution I found tonight is to simply untick "Resize interface to video size" in preferences - found in the Interface Settings on simple preferences, then restart VLC. No other changes needed. Lines 100% eliminated. Unticking this option also stops the flickering of the controller in full screen mode.

For me, it was happening in window mode too for any 1920 x 1080 videos, noticeable in window and full screen mode on a 1920 x 1080 display.

It's important to restart VLC after changing this setting because the change does not kick in unless you close and restart. This is probably another bug in VLC. You'd think that clicking 'Save' would be enough, but not so. Need to restart.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”