audio device settings & downmixing

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

audio device settings & downmixing

Postby cybmole » 09 Jan 2010 09:07

could someone please explain how vlc audio device 5.1 settigns interacts with stereo speakers / stereo settigns in windows vista.

I have VLC set to use waveout, so when it encouters an AVi or MKV with a choce of audio steams then it defaults to the 5.1 oprion, not the stereo option.
But I only have stereo speackers and only use analogue out, not HDMI or SPDIF.
but in most cases, the movie still sounds fine, which suggests that downmixing is happening somewhere. I can only recell one instance ( the movie CUBE) where I had to deliberately select sereo output in order to hear dialogue properly. I think that movie file had only 5:1 DTS, not normal 5:1 , which may be why that one behaved ofddly

in fact, for most movies, the sound seems better on the 5:1 settings than on the stereo setting ??? - though occasionaly in quiet dialogue sections, I notice a faint low frequence noise on the soundtrack - like the noise which video/audio interference in VHS playback would sometimes cause

I know that most actual DVD players, and also the PowerDVD software, will automatically downmix 5:1 into 2 channel when setup for 2 channel output ( that may even be part of the DVD spec) - so does VLC do the same ?

PS It seems from searching here that I can't make audio device stereo the default unless I also use directx in place of waveout. I've not done enough listening tests to determine if directx and wave out sounds any different - I use waveout as my default because of a different bug I encountered on a different PC a while back with VLC+directX (an audio starving bug with some avi files).

I was also searching through VLC options for an LFE filter, like the one in powerdvd, which coud limit/eliminate subsonic noise (intended for dedicated woofers) from the downmixed stereo audio track, is there one anywhere ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: audio device settings & downmixing

Postby VLC_help » 09 Jan 2010 20:03

It seems from searching here that I can't make audio device stereo the default unless I also use directx in place of waveout.
Waveout audio output module doesn't have option to force the output. It should use same option as your Windows Speaker setup is set.
I was also searching through VLC options for an LFE filter, like the one in powerdvd, which coud limit/eliminate subsonic noise (intended for dedicated woofers) from the downmixed stereo audio track, is there one anywhere ?
VLC doesn't have filter like that.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 10 Jan 2010 15:08

It seems from searching here that I can't make audio device stereo the default unless I also use directx in place of waveout.
Waveout audio output module doesn't have option to force the output. It should use same option as your Windows Speaker setup is set.
VLC doesn't have filter like that.
OK thanks - can you explain what downmixing takes place when 5:1 is active, with only stereo sound setting in windows ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Jan 2010 13:58

I would guess the exact algorithm is in http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=bl ... ea;hb=HEAD

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”