Tearing during playback in 1.0.3 XP?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
minus0ne
New Cone
New Cone

Tearing during playback in 1.0.3 XP?

Postby minus0ne » 07 Nov 2009 21:23

Anyone else getting major annoying tearing during playback in 1.0.3 (winXP SP3), or is it just me? I was forced to go back to 1.0.2 as the tearing becomes extremely annoying very fast.

I usually expect tearing to occur during videogames, I've never seen it in video playback before.

truthy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Tearing during playback in 1.0.3 XP?

Postby truthy » 07 Nov 2009 23:10

same here. the vertical tearing is really annoying
gonna revert back to v 1.0.2 until this is fixed in a later release. :( happens with the directx video output module.

by now I should know better :roll: it's not the first time that something critical (or annoying) came up after updating to the latest version.
don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining - I'm grateful for your nice piece of software
but should'nt you be testing these kind of things before a 'stable' release

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 08 Nov 2009 13:49

You have tried to force V-sync on from your display adapters control panel?

truthy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby truthy » 08 Nov 2009 23:22

that's hardly a solution, at the utmost a temporary fix
besides, I don't want to force vsync via - in my case - nvidia control panel (or nhancer). I have different settings for different applications (OpenGL & Direct3d)
btw under tools --> messages - verbosity level 2 nothing is shown during these glitches

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 Nov 2009 14:01

You can force application specific settings, so different settings for vlc.exe

truthy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby truthy » 10 Nov 2009 01:07

you are right of course - sry & thx. :roll:

but it does only work partly when I force vsync for vlc.exe!
meaning sometimes vertical tearing still comes up - it gets a little better when forcing it but it's NOT gone - so thats no solution for me either.
additionally with the directx video output module the fullscreen interface is flickering all the time (but only after I move the playing movie to my 2nd screen (lcd) - if I leave it on my 1st screen there's no flickering at all) - switching to DirextX 3D video output fixed that - but vsync still doesn't work properly - even when forced via the graphics driver.
seems to me you have some serious deinterlacing & vsync problems in this release - so I'm still gonna revert back and use v1.0.2

MegaSvensk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MegaSvensk » 13 Nov 2009 12:40

I have this problem too but setting the video mode to OpenGL seems to have fixed it. There doesn't seem to be any side effects, so I'll just keep it like this till the next version. Still, you shouldn't have to mess around with the settings to get smooth playback. Less technical users probably would just give up and move to a different player.

Manu ROSSI
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Manu ROSSI » 16 Nov 2009 22:21

same tearing issue here watching dvb-t programs (XP-SP3). Back to 1.0.2...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”