workarounds for remotes

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

workarounds for remotes

Postby cybmole » 15 Sep 2009 16:21

I currently get VLC to respond to my microsoft/cyberlink remotes by using VLC hotkeys to put essental play, pause, next, previous skip back etc onto keys which the remote can generate i.e. tonto arrow keys and numberpad, bcause that'all that gets through from remotes to VLC.

It works, assuming one can remember what button does what, but I'm not looking into a different approach. IF I use a freeware keyboard remapper, I should be able to control VLC with the correct play/pause etc remote buttons, assuming the remapper catches & changes them on the fly into values that I can put into VLC hotkeys

So What I'd like is a nifty little desktop shortcut that runs the remapper, then launches VLC - and ideally also cancels the remap once VLC is closed. Now given that what I know about batch files & the like in Windows would fit on the back of a very small postage stamp, any anyone tell me if this is plausible & how to go about it.

I'm looking at using a freeware called keytweak as the go-between. If I have to have the remapper always active then I'll try to find some obscure keys to map the media controls to ,e.g. CTRL+ various letters, that will not interfere with other apps. IT would be nice if VLC could have more than 1 hotkey assigned to a single fuction but that does not look possible ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: workarounds for remotes

Postby VLC_help » 16 Sep 2009 12:48

IT would be nice if VLC could have more than 1 hotkey assigned to a single fuction but that does not look possible ?
You can have two keys. One normal and one global.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 16 Sep 2009 13:00

IT would be nice if VLC could have more than 1 hotkey assigned to a single fuction but that does not look possible ?
You can have two keys. One normal and one global.
i started going there but could not see how to edit global hotkey settings in VLC - so do they have to be set outside of it.

I currently have VLC play/pause responding to "OK" on my remotes - that generates an "enter" keypress which I then set in hotkeys, but it would be good if I could get VLC to also respond to the dedicated play & pause buttons on the remote, like WMP does by default.

Also, the keytweak freebie works by editing registry settings which then have to be applied via a reboot - did not fancy that.

I'd even buy a programmable remote to use with VLC if I could find one!

update - googled this - anyone used it with VLC, which it claims to support ?
http://www.streamzap.com/products/pcremote/apps.php
VLC
Supported Functionality Button Functionality
Play Start playback
Pause Pause playback
Stop Stop playback
Exit Exit the application
Next Next
Previous Previous
Rewind Rewind
Fast-forward Fast-forward
Menu Toggle full-screen mode
Channel + Play faster
Channel - Play slower
Record Open playlist
Arrows/OK Navigate/select

yatzr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yatzr » 17 Sep 2009 15:48

There's a program called LM Remote Keymap that might help you out. I use it on my Windows Media Center remote to remap all of the buttons from the remote to specific keystrokes just for VLC. So I can use the pause & play buttons in vlc just fine.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 17 Sep 2009 16:07

thanks - I went instead for intelliremote sfotware from mellorware.com, with my existing remote - that gives me complete customisable VLC control & so far it is working great.

( I googled streamzap some more & got that it had crap software )

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”