play dvd from hard drive bug ?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

play dvd from hard drive bug ?

Postby cybmole » 27 Aug 2009 17:43

I have many DVDs on Hard drive.
where I have a simple structure of only a VIDEO_TS folder within a DVD_NAME folder then I can play it in VLC via right click on parent folder & select play with VLC, but if I have anything else in the parent folder e.g. a folder.jpg file or a description.txt file, than I cant play the DVD by right clicking on the parent folder, I have to navigate inside & use right click on the VIDEO-TS subfolder, then select play with..

is ths a bug or is this by design. I find it frustrating, as I want to have other stuff in the parent folder sometimes. e.g. the folder.jpg files which will be used by windows media center when I choose to use that interface

so is there any work-around ?

NB having additional data besides VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders is within the DVD spec & is often to be found on commercial DVDs, & thus on HD copies, if the full DVD is copied. Having done some more testing, neither Zoom player or PowerDVd have any problem with extra files being present - with both of those players I can drag & drop the parent folder to them & they will play the DVD,

it's only VLC ( I am using v1.01) which has a problem with this.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: play dvd from hard drive bug ?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Aug 2009 20:31

You must point VLC to the VIDEO_TS folder to detect the DVD, sorry.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”