VLC icon not displaying

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

VLC icon not displaying

Postby cybmole » 06 Aug 2009 10:20

the VLC cone icon is not showing for various file types that I have now set to run in VLC - via the open with... always use ths option route in Windows XP.

Is there anyway to make the cone icon appear, part from re-installing & setting file associations at the install stage.

e.g. all my .AVI files had the powerDVd icon. I got that icon to revert to microsoft's default by going into WMP and setting that to be the .AVI player, but when I then set VLC to be my default AVi player - as above - the icon does not change.
Not all file types behave in this way though - I've set VLC to be the deault player for .m4b files & they are now siplaying with a cone icon, replacing the previous icon. The AVI file type is the one that's been changed the most as I have lots of candidate players - powerdvd, VLC, Zoom, WMP + others which are no longer installed like WinDVD - & I've observed that uninstalling a player which aggresseivly assigns it's own icon e.g. WinDVD can mess up the Icon settings.
other programs such as zoom player have an option to force the use of their icon, so I can make my avi files have the zoom player icon by using it's options scren, but there seems no way to do that in VLC.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: VLC icon not displaying

Postby VLC_help » 06 Aug 2009 16:15

You should be able to change icon from Windows Explorer, Tools -> Folder options... and File types tab.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 06 Aug 2009 17:35

You should be able to change icon from Windows Explorer, Tools -> Folder options... and File types tab.
I already looked there - but once windows decides that you have already "customised" that fie type, it no longer offers the option to select an icon
it offers a "restore " option instead, which reverts you back to windows default - so no cone.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Aug 2009 15:01

So you cannot change the icon via Folder options even if you restore?

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 07 Aug 2009 16:54

So you cannot change the icon via Folder options even if you restore?
no - the only icons that windows offers fore you to choose from are its own standard set.

I eventually just re-installed the same version 1.01 VLC over the existing install, & ticked the appropriate file types at install stage. it looks OK now!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”