VLC 1.0 just doesn't work with mp4 i suppose

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
rikje
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 1.0 just doesn't work with mp4 i suppose

Postby rikje » 28 Jul 2009 01:24

there is no audio output error, let me say that up front...

i installed 1.0 and poefff mp4s just wont play (the audio that is) i tried all the output formats and it doesn't work, i tried reinstalling codecs, doesn't work...
so i just went backto 0.9.6 which i now think is better anyway...

problem solved, so for all of you, and there are many, that cant get these files to work i have one thing to say, REVERT TO 0.9.6.. easiest way to fix the problem and it saves soooo much time screwing around with possible solutions, it's not worth it. Besides 0.9.6 was a great release and can play allthat 1.0 can so you don't loose any functionality i think.

grtz rik.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC 1.0 just doesn't work with mp4 i suppose

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jul 2009 14:49

Can you share some file?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

rikje
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rikje » 28 Jul 2009 15:22

you mean on of the files that didn't play on 1.0?
you want me to upload it?
in my experience none of my mp4 files worked on 1.0.
i'm not sure if there are mp4b files with that maybe just mp4a but anyway just download a random mp4 file and you will find that vlc 1.0 doesn't play them anymore, 0.9.6 does though it plays about everything! :)

so any mp4 will do i think.
i'm curious as to what you will find so post a reaction when you have tried it if you please:)

grtz rik.
Last edited by rikje on 28 Jul 2009 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jul 2009 15:24

Yes. Yes.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby cybmole » 30 Jul 2009 07:48

it's a more complex issue I fear.
I also have no audio for mp4 with vlc1.0 on one of my PCs, & I opened a thread about m4a & m4b a few days back - no help so far in there though :-(
BUT I have the same vlc 1.0 & the same .mp4 files on a 2nd PC & on that PC they work OK. Both Pcs are windows Xp and as far as I can tell have the same collection of other players & codecs ( that should not matter as VLC is entirely self-contaiined ?)
I've posted detailed logs in my other thread. it seems that VLC is not finding or applying it's MP4 audio decoder.
I'd be happy to do other tests and side by side comparisons with the same audiofiles on both PCs if that would help the techs to solve this.
from my testing so far the file types which work perfectly on only one of my PCs but play without any sound on the other are .m4a. .m4b, .mov -all of which need the same audio decoder.

PS on both PCs the install of 1.0 was done using the option to uninstall previous version but to keep preferences & cache. I've looked for the "cache" to see if any junk is left that could be causeign this but I can't find anything menaingful.
my only other idea is that maybe the problem PC had a codec called quicktime alternative installed one-time, but I thought that VLC was immune to external codec problems ???

rikje
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rikje » 31 Jul 2009 16:03

same here, also had the quicktime alternative at one point but this shouldn't matter indeed.

very very weird:S

grtz rik.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 31 Jul 2009 20:51

JUST
OF
THE
FILES

jeroensky
VLC version: 0.9.8a
Operating System: Windows & Linux

Postby jeroensky » 31 Jul 2009 21:33

Just want to say that i use Mandriva Powerpack 64bit with vlc 1.0.0, and Vista 64bit with VLC 1.0.0 and both vlc versions with different OS play all my mp4 files. That is: video(ASP+AAC *.mp4) and audio (AAC without drm *.m4a)-> yeah the ones who are compatible with playstation portable & tcpmp.
Last edited by jeroensky on 02 Aug 2009 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
My mobile {PSP} linksite. .:: http://sites.google.com/site/jeroenskyterritory/ ::.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 01 Aug 2009 07:13

JUST
OF
THE
FILES
if he has the same probem as I had - see the "no sound with m4a, m4b" thread,

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62902

than all files which need the m4a decoder will not work - so pointless to post specific samples.

instead try the test fix that I was given in the other thread - add --codec=faad as a command line option when launching VLC. that worked for me, though I'm still hoping for an explanation of why it worked & news on whether it will be "properly" fixed in a future release.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”