Latest VLC media player 9.9 Loads very Slowly

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Goku8
New Cone
New Cone

Latest VLC media player 9.9 Loads very Slowly

Postby Goku8 » 06 Apr 2009 17:25

Hi

I have recently installed the latest VLC media player on my vista laptop. It has 1 gig of ram and lots of disk space.
Whenever i run VLC only with nothing else running, it basically is very slow to actually load the screen of the video.

So what happens is i double click on a video file and it starts up vlc, then i hear the audio but no picture yet, then after like 5 to 10 seconds the picture appears, which is choppy at first but them becomes clear.

I normally watch dvd's, videos, avi or mkv files. I know it might be my ram, but this has happened to many of my friends with more ram than me and with other operating systems like xp.

The previous version of VLC would start up immediately.
I have looked at the advanced settings and ticked the "increase the priority of the process" . But this hardly seems to have helped.

Does anyone have the same problem or have a solution?

Thank you

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Latest VLC media player 9.9 Loads very Slowly

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Apr 2009 20:20

Try VLC 1.0.0 devel versions.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

plezops
New Cone
New Cone

Postby plezops » 07 Apr 2009 12:15

I am experiencing the same problem, DVDs, ISOs, avi, and especially mkv files all load slow in 0.9.9 compared to 0.9.8a which was near instant. Upgrading to the 1.0.0 dev versions renders the same slow-loading issues (and occasionally a crash :P). Increasing VLC's priority hasn't helped and it happens on fresh restarts and with nothing else running.

Stats:
VLC 0.9.9
Vista Ultimate w/ SP1 64-bit
Core 2 Duo 3GHz
8GB RAM

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Apr 2009 15:16

Could you open Tools -> Messages... (set Verbosity to 2) and then open one file. Then check out the part where the freeze happens and paste it here.

Goku8
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Goku8 » 07 Apr 2009 16:05

It actually happens in the first 5 seconds of any vidoe file, on the 6th or 7th second it loads the picture. but from 1 sec to 5 sec the sound is already there.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”