How Do I Rip CD Songs Into MP3s?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
taurusx5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How Do I Rip CD Songs Into MP3s?

Postby taurusx5 » 04 Mar 2009 06:05

Hi, guys. How do I rip cd songs into MP3s? I got the latest VLC 9.6. I tried looking through the forum for info but I couldn't find it. Hope you guys can help me. Thanks.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: How Do I Rip CD Songs Into MP3s?

Postby VLC_help » 04 Mar 2009 17:47

Use tools like EAC or cdex. They are much easier to use.
http://webforth.com/?p=37 in case you want to use VLC.

taurusx5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby taurusx5 » 04 Mar 2009 19:18

Use tools like EAC or cdex. They are much easier to use.
VC_Help, I looked at the link you provided. When I converted my audio file (cda), the output was converted to .ps extension instead of an mp3 extension. I don't get it. What do i do now?

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 04 Mar 2009 21:54

Well, CloudStalker made a tutorial for setting up EAC for FLAC encoding, but in actuality, taurusx5 can still use the tutorial and, with a few adjustments to the Compression Options, be able to rip the CDs into high quality mp3s. :)

Here's the tutorial: How To Rip 1:1 Copies of Audio CDs Using Exact Audio Copy, and when you get up to the portion about the Compression Options, just use this short tutorial for configuring it to rip (LAME encoded) mp3s.

taurusx5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby taurusx5 » 05 Mar 2009 02:42

Well, CloudStalker made a tutorial for setting up EAC for FLAC encoding, but in actuality, taurusx5 can still use the tutorial and, with a few adjustments to the Compression Options, be able to rip the CDs into high quality mp3s. :)

Here's the tutorial: How To Rip 1:1 Copies of Audio CDs Using Exact Audio Copy, and when you get up to the portion about the Compression Options, just use this short tutorial for configuring it to rip (LAME encoded) mp3s.
CloudStalker, I do appreciate your input, but I got 2 thoughts that I hope you don't get offended over. Kep in mind that I'm not insulting you. Why is your tutorial so long? I just don't understand why you provide a complex app and instructions to just rip a simple song. There are a bunch of apps out there that don't require so many complicated steps. And again, don't get offended. I'm just making an observation. With that said, do you still know how to rip CD songs in VLC, despite the issues I'm running into? Thanks.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 05 Mar 2009 07:10

CloudStalker, I do appreciate your input, but I got 2 thoughts that I hope you don't get offended over. Kep in mind that I'm not insulting you. Why is your tutorial so long? I just don't understand why you provide a complex app and instructions to just rip a simple song. There are a bunch of apps out there that don't require so many complicated steps. And again, don't get offended. I'm just making an observation.
CloudStalker is offended! :shock:
Hehe, naw, he's good. :P

Part of the reason for the tutorial being "long", as taurusx5 calls it :P, is that it was made for the purists out there that want to rip bit-accurate copies of their audio CDs, something that media players can't do, and therefore it requires more configurations to be made then a standard audio CD ripping program.

The program and tutorial are mostly useful for those that want to back up their CD collection on their computers without having to worry about any data loss from the source disc, in fact, the program will create 2 additional files which are used to reconstruct the original layout of the disc (the CUE sheet) and ultimately inspect the rip for errors (the log file).

If You are not a purist and You don't care about 'bit-accurateness' and stuff, then yeah, this tutorial may not be for You. 8)
With that said, do you still know how to rip CD songs in VLC, despite the issues I'm running into? Thanks.
Well, CloudStalker doesn't know how to do this with VLC media player as he has never tried it before, he does know of some other programs, however, that will do it, like the dreaded Windows-so called-Media Player :roll:, it should rip CDs to mp3 but not the cool way like EAC. :lol:

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 05 Mar 2009 11:53

Exact Audio Copy is probably the best option if you want bit-for-bit accurate ripping. CDex is also good, and is simpler to setup (however not quite as good as far as error correction etc. goes, hence why EAC is generally considered the gold standard for ripper amongst audiophiles). EAC with LAME (e.g. LAME 3.98 with a VBR preset) is one of the best setups for CD >> MP3 ripping.

If you really are not worried at all about gapless playback, good quality ripping, decent MP3 encoding etc. then WMP should to the trick as well.

As for VLC - it is not the ideal ripper, however you can stream to an MP3 file.

If you want to use VLC then e.g. go do "Media >> Convert/Save...", select you Audio CD, and then select e.g. the "MP3" profile from the drop down list of Profiles. By default that will be 128kbps CBR. Tick "File" and enter a destination and filename (with extension). If you want a different bitrate (e.g. 192, 256, 320 kbps) then chang the value of "ab" to something different.

If that workd it will probably just do one audio track (however if successful you could repeat the process with a different track).

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

taurusx5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby taurusx5 » 05 Mar 2009 18:40

Exact Audio Copy is probably the best option if you want bit-for-bit accurate ripping. CDex is also good, and is simpler to setup (however not quite as good as far as error correction etc. goes, hence why EAC is generally considered the gold standard for ripper amongst audiophiles). EAC with LAME (e.g. LAME 3.98 with a VBR preset) is one of the best setups for CD >> MP3 ripping.

If you really are not worried at all about gapless playback, good quality ripping, decent MP3 encoding etc. then WMP should to the trick as well.

As for VLC - it is not the ideal ripper, however you can stream to an MP3 file.

If you want to use VLC then e.g. go do "Media >> Convert/Save...", select you Audio CD, and then select e.g. the "MP3" profile from the drop down list of Profiles. By default that will be 128kbps CBR. Tick "File" and enter a destination and filename (with extension). If you want a different bitrate (e.g. 192, 256, 320 kbps) then chang the value of "ab" to something different.

If that workd it will probably just do one audio track (however if successful you could repeat the process with a different track).

Cheers, Arite.
Arite, I did what you asked but the songs on the cd don't get converted. After I chose a song from the cd, the player doesn't do anything. All it does is it puts a file with an .mp3 extension in the destination I chose. Then, when I play the mp3, it doesn't play at all. It's not even "converted" because when I checked to see how big the file is, it turns out to be 0 bytes. Just to let you know, I got the latest VLC. What do I do now?

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 26 Mar 2009 22:29

Yes, VLC 0.9.8a doesn't seem to like converting specific tracks and/or with the GUI. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57068&p=190868#p190868

That commadline should work, however (on Debian sid) selecting a specific track doesn't work. VLC 0.9.9 or 1.0.0-git might give better results (and might work with the GUI). Find nightly builds here:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Leon-B
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Leon-B » 15 Feb 2011 20:26

Hello!

Today I tried to rip an audio track from a CD with VLC. (Version 1.1.0 and 1.1.7 (portable), Windows)

After finally clicking on "Start" nothing happens. There is only a new line with the word "streaming" in the playlist, nothing else.

Did I forget something?

Greetings,
Leon
Last edited by Leon-B on 16 Feb 2011 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Leon-B
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Leon-B » 15 Feb 2011 23:27

Ok, after a little bit trying out, I found out that VLC does its ripping job if I'm selecting one of the container file extensions that are in that little list in the file saving dialog (Like .ps, .mpg, .ogg, .mp4, etc.)

So if you are selecting as filename e.g.: "example.mp3" or just "example" it won't work. But is works if you type in a file extension from the list like "example.ps" or "example.ogg".

Now the bigger problem:
The created file will play in VLC, but if you rename it to .mp3 VLC won't play it. However, after a very tiny delay, Windows Media Player can play the renamed file.

I have no idea whats wrong or if there is a solution. Maybe you have an idea.

Regards,
Leon

TomRoche
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TomRoche » 08 Feb 2015 21:52

That link 404s for me today (8 Feb 2015). Interested users might want to try this wikihow but note that it rips a DVD to MP3. I'm guessing ripping a CD is quite similar.

IMHO this topic should be added to this VLC wikipage, which currently covers ripping to WAV and FLAC.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”