Fullscreen is jerky, unless I move the mouse

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
shawndoc
New Cone
New Cone

Fullscreen is jerky, unless I move the mouse

Postby shawndoc » 01 Feb 2009 01:29

Hello, I'm trying to watch DVD's on my laptop. Its a 2 year old dual-core laptop and it plays DVD's fine with the built-in DVD playback software and media player classic. I prefer VLC for my video playback needs, and want to use it for DVD's as well as downloaded files.

The problem I've run into, is when in fullscreen mode, the FPS drops, causing the video to be noticeably "jerky". However if during playback I move the mouse (which causes the player controls to appear), the video becomes smooth. As soon as the controls slide off screen after mouse inactivity, the video becomes jerky again.

I've tried increasing the process priority, and that didn't seem to change anything. Any other ideas?

random
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Fullscreen is jerky, unless I move the mouse

Postby random » 01 Feb 2009 02:36

Which version are you using?

shawndoc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shawndoc » 01 Feb 2009 02:58

0.9.8a Grishenko
Running on Vista 32-bit

random

Postby random » 01 Feb 2009 03:26

I'm guessing, that this is what you're experiencing ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_tearing

shawndoc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shawndoc » 01 Feb 2009 03:51

Nope, its not page tearing. When in full screen without the control bar, its low frame rate (looks like its dropping frames) and if you have subtitles on they're somewhat pixelated or jaggy. If you move the mouse to bring up the control bar, the subtitles get smoother and the frame rate goes back up to where its supposed to be.

I'm guessing the it uses a different render when the control bar is up vs hidden?

random

Postby random » 01 Feb 2009 04:13

Reset your preferences see what happens. Update your video driver if you can, BTW this is happening to every DVD you have ?

Major Wedgie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Major Wedgie » 02 Feb 2009 01:54

I too have this problem and would say that it is worked around be keeping the mouse over the control bar at the bottom of the screen ie: keeping it displayed. This NOT an ideal solution, however so if anyone has any ideas on how this might be resolved could they please elaborate. This issue is really cutting into my "personal time", if you know what I mean. :oops:

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 02 Feb 2009 14:41

I assume you have Intel display adapter. They have this bug. Disabling Full Screen Controller should fix it.
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ#How ... troller.3F

shawndoc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shawndoc » 02 Feb 2009 18:24

Yep, I've just got an Intel 945 Express chipset in my laptop. I've made the change and will test it out tonight to see if its solved my problems. Thanks.

Major Wedgie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Major Wedgie » 02 Feb 2009 23:45

Hi, thanks for the replies. I actually have an Nvidia 6600GT card plugged into a Benq monitor. Correct and updated drivers are installed for both pieces of hardware. The issue is not only on QT movies it appears with .wmv and even .mpg files. Thank-you.

Major Wedgie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Major Wedgie » 02 Feb 2009 23:48

Thanks guys the issue is resolved. It was the fullscreen controller mentioned by VLC_help. Thank-you, VLC is the best player.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”